1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Microphone making subtle noise...Shure KSM 27

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by sshot1977, Mar 3, 2005.

1. sshot1977

sshot1977 Guest

Shure KSM 27 side-address condenser microphone with a cardioid polar pattern. I purchased this mic about a year ago. Things ran smoothly up until last week when i began noticing these constant little snaps and pops(they are more prevalent when i am not making noise into the mic). It's barely noticeable but it does show up in my recordings, especially when i use vocal effects(I'm using a boss br1600). The more i turn up the main volume the ouder the annoyance gets... Now i play and record mainly acoustic music and last week i recorded some louder rock guitars. Do you think i could have blown something in the mic itself? Or is this something as simple as buying a new cord? Could it be the 16 track? any help would be appreciated...

2. anonymous

anonymous Guests

noises

Sounds like it could be a cord that has seen better days. Maybe try a good quality cable, and see if it still happens.
    If that doesn't work, turn down the gain on your pre amp and see if there is a threshold where the noise starts at. What I mean is...does the noise go away alot or only a little at any point as you are turning down the gain pot (pre amp)?
    Sometimes a trim pot (pre amp) will work fine on a mic at appox. 4 o'clock, but turn it up just a little more and all of the sudden the damn mic is making all sorts of new weird noises.
    Let me know if you find out anything new.
    Good luck! :)