1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

microphone suggestions

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by S1N, Apr 28, 2005.

1. S1N

S1N Guest

im thinkin of purchasing a microphone for recording use, my budget is $100 - $700.. this is gonna be used strictly for vocals, i need a mic that could handle loud vocalists to smooth sounding singers, mic that could pick up their tone of voice really nice...... any suggestions...
  2. jonnyc

jonnyc Guest

thats a huge price range if i were you i'd look in the 400 to 700 range and eliminate most below that, although studio projects mics are good. I have a blue baby bottle that I like a lot on female vocals but not so much for males. Beyond that advice picking up a mic is pretty subjective most people will just tell you to get the kind of mic they have. Best thing to do is find a store that'll let you test a few.
  3. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

Sep 24, 2004
    I'd look into the Audio-Technia 4033 or 3060. For the price I think that AT makes some of the best mid-range (priced) mics on the market.

4. maintiger

maintiger Distinguished Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Whittier, California, USA
    Home Page:
    K2, and c414 at the top of your range
  5. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2003
    I second LittleDog's opinion of Audio Technica. My choices are the 3035 and 4050, $185 and $400-500 depending who you buy it from.
  6. mds

mds Guest

The ATs are good. I've got a 4033 that is really pleasing on a lot of sources. Check out Rode, too. I've been reviewing a NT2 and it is quite a nice mic.

7. frob

frob Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2004
    the AT line is really good espesaly in the price range that you mentioned. i would steer cleer of rode unless you have a really good mic pre, the rode sound good through a nice mic pre but sound hollow through a bad mic pre, espesialy at high SPL.
  8. JeffSanders

JeffSanders Active Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Fairhaven, MA USA
    Home Page:
    I also recommend the Audio Technica line. I recently tried an ADK Hamburg - sounded great for that price. Got an ADK TC on the way. I'll post feedback on it asap.

The 4040 is a steal. My favorite for vocals and acoustic guitars is the 4047SV.

Of course, oalah (opinions are like...)
  9. jonnyc

jonnyc Guest

If you went with the audio technica mics mentioned you really can't go wrong, sure there are better sounding mics, but most are much more expensive or are more limited in what they can do. Like i said i have the baby bottle by blue and honestly there are some vocalists i can't make sound right on it, almost wish i'd bought something more versatile like an at4040
  10. JBsound

JBsound Guest

I'm going to add my $.02 in here and say that the Audio Technica line will do you right. The 4047 is one of my favorites although I think that the 4040, 4050, 3035, etc, are a little more versatile.
  11. S1N

S1N Guest

thanks for all the input guys. i really appreciate it...