1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Microphone used for Alice in Chains Unplugged

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by jlee462, Aug 23, 2004.

1. jlee462

jlee462 Guest

I was watching Alice in Chains Unplugged last night and during the song Frogs, Layne Staley uses some type of microphone that seems to utilize a smaller bandwidth to get a really cool effected sound. It looked silver.

Does anyone know what type of mic he is using? I would love to use one live.

Thanks for any info.

2. RAIN0707

RAIN0707 Guest

You can achieve this without a special mic if you want. It's just a bandpass effect if I remember correctly. Or just equalize your vocal so that everything is in the midrange and the lows and highs roll off dramatically - gives a real AM radio feel to it. I don't remember which mic he used...maybe a green bullet ?(usually used for harmonica) Can anyone confirm this? If I could see the mic I'd be able to tell you which one, otherwise their are a million small mics it could be - and don't forget, odds are it is EQ that may have created that effect...If you listen to Nickelback - Woke Up This Morning, Chad Kroeger uses a CB radio microphone to achieve sort of a muffled AM radio effect...works really well live too. Just an idea.
  3. jlee462

jlee462 Guest

I use a bandpass filter in the studio, but I figured there might also be a mic for it, because I have seen the lead singer of the Toadies use a mic that sounds exactly the same and looks the same also. Therefore I figured there was probably a mic that catered to this type of effect.

Thanks for the idea on the green bullet.