1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mics for drums

Discussion in 'Drums' started by tranqs, Dec 9, 2005.

1. tranqs

tranqs Guest

which of these two mics are better for tons??? SM57 or PG 56 (from the shure drumkit)?

2. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2005
    I'd probably try the 57 first..
  3. Lonewalker

Lonewalker Active Member

Aug 1, 2005
    What kind of drum is a ton? Sounds cool...
  4. alimoniack

alimoniack Guest

I presume you mean toms, I got fed up with 57's on toms (still on snare tho') and ended up liking the little sennheiser e604's instead, every bit as cheap as 57's too. I actually initially thought they would be too cheap to sound any good, but I've found I can usually get what I want by EQ'ing those, plus it's a few less stands to set up.

For fun, I'd like to mic up every head on a kit with EV RE-20's at some point, I only have two at the moment though...
  5. tranqs

tranqs Guest

Hey Lonewalker!!!!

Like we said here in brazil...... "For a bad Fucker everything disturbs, including your own balls!!!"
    I think that this phrase fits to you!!!
    obvious that I wanted to write "toms"

6. Boltino

Boltino Guest

Wow man, switch to decaf. If not for youself, then for the benefit of everyone around you.

7. McCheese

McCheese Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    I think I get the idea, but that phrase really loses a lot in translation.

Oh and for toms, I prefer 421's if doing rock.
  8. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Fredericksburg, VA
    I had a REALLY hard time figuring out the meaning of the saying here until I took the word "F*cker" literally. AHHHHH, now it makes sense. It's funny, I never use that word to mean that. Odd, huh?

Well, for toms (or tons...) the 421s are great as are the 604s. Try a condenser though, or a ribbon too - you'll be pleased. I find the 57 too dry and brittle for the toms (it's good on the attacks but not for the meat of the note...)

and the PG56 is better used as a strap-on dong for that "Bad F*cker" as I see it has virtually no other purpose in a studio.

J. :D
  9. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Ahhh yes, the ooooold disturbed balls analogy ploy. If only I had a nickel for everytime I've seen that one trotted out in the heat of a grammatical conflict... :cool:
  10. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2005
    Actually I just got a really nice live drum sound with a couple of PG56s on toms and a PG52 on the kick.. it was a good kit though, and a good player. 8)

However, I mic'ed a different kit last week in a different venue and had a spare Beta 56a for one of the toms.. I had to EQ the PG56s on the other two toms quite a bit to try to match the sound of the Beta. ;) I've never compared them directly to a 57 though.
  11. Lonewalker

Lonewalker Active Member

Aug 1, 2005
    ouch! Sorry for the simple little joke, there Tranqs. Doesn't take much to set you off, huh? I just couldn't resist!

FYI (Not that you'll want to hear my opinion) I've used the PGM Shure drum pack before. I only used the toms mics, though. I liked them. Nothing GREAT, but surely usable. I like the mounts, but prefer stands to avoid the vibrations and rumble from the toms when beat upon.
    I would use them over a SM57, in most situations, though. Know that I do heavier music.

Love, Lonewalker
  12. mugtastic

mugtastic Active Member

Dec 9, 2005
    i think the saying means "if you are a jerk everything will bug you, even your own pleasure bits"
    i'd use the 57s.
    for those with too few re20s, i just got a heil pr40 - like the re20, less than half the price. so far sounds great to me.
  13. alimoniack

alimoniack Guest

My "pleasure bits" bother me all the time...

Like the look of the Heil, I mean the guy did PA for The Who fer chrissakes, Sieg Heil indeed! If it does sound similar to my beloved RE-20's I'm definitely interested...

You could drive a tank over an RE-20 though, & the tank would still sound great, no shockmount to get crushed in the process either. I think I'd like about 4 or 5 eventually, maybe a PR40 for variety!

But then, I am clearly a "Bad F**ker".