1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mics for recording grand piano

Discussion in 'Piano' started by gurkin, Sep 13, 2003.

1. gurkin

gurkin Guest

In the past ( when dinosaurs roamed the Earth )
    I used a pair of AKG 414 EB mics to record piano.
    Interested in feedback re: other mics that
    would match up as well other than Neumann U87
    ( too expensive )

Also interested in whether noise reduction
    is used when mixing down in analog at 30ips
    1/2 inch tape.

Ted

2. Richard Monroe

Richard Monroe Active Member

Home Page:
    Actually, C414's still aren't a bad choice. Some dinosaurs hang in there. You didn't state a budget, so it's a little tough. For cheap- a pair of Studio Projects C-4's works well for me, but I've only used them on a Wurlitzer console. Sorry, I don't have a grand. For bigger bucks, I'm betting a pair of Josephson C42's would rock.
    Older KM84's are a proven good choice. When it comes to the newer KM184's, I'd just get the Josephson's.

3. danfor-2

danfor-2 Guest

Simple!

Cheat a girl scout, rob a bank and sell your grandmother, then go get youself a pair of DPA (Bruel&Kjaer) 4011.

Recorded a grand today with them thru a Millenna 8ch, and everybody just went Homer from there - aaaahrlaaaargaha. :eek:

Go Danish!

4. white swan

white swan Guest

I prefer omnis on piano, especially if you are using close mic schemes. Cardioid mics have a noticeable proximity effect that makes the strings closest to the mics stand out unnaturally. Using omnis solves that problem.

5. timstoel

timstoel Guest

I mic a 9 foot Steinway with one EV RE-2000 in the crotch of the piano, about three feet away and 1 foot above the top, with the lid propped fully open, with beautiful results. The signal goes straight into an Allen & Heath GL2200 out to an MX-2424. It isn't an aggressive bright sound, but it does catch the subtlety of the piano very well, and mixes well with choral music.