1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Midas Venice track for HIP HOP?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by jkung, Sep 16, 2003.

1. jkung

jkung Guest

I am a pop songwriter/programmer and occasional mixer. i sing too. my setup looks like this.

MPC 3000 - Drums and Samples
    Pair of Techs 1200 turntables - to sample from
    Triton Le
    Roland xp30
    Cheapo Behringer 604a? 4channel minimixer

G4 400mhz
    Digi 001
    RME Multiface
    MOTU Micro Express (midi)
    Software: PTle, DP 3.1, Reason 2.0

I am trying to organize my studio with a mixer but i have never done this before so i wanted to ask if i am missing anything. I am looking at a MIDAS VENICE 160.

Rode NT2 ---> Mono in Venice channel (2)
    001 6 indv. outs ---> 6 mono ins Venice
    001 2 master outs ---> (a) Stereo IN Venice
    Venice 2-8 indv. mono outs ---> Back in to 001 6 ins
    MPC stereo outs ---> 2 mono ins Venice
    Triton LE 2 stereo outs ---> (b) Stereo IN Venice
    Turtables 2 Stereo outs ---> (c) Stereo IN Venice
    XP 30 2 stereo outs ---> (d) Stereo IN Venice
    Venice 2 master B outs ---> 001 2 ins
    Venice 2 master ---> monitors
    Monitor 1+2 outs ---> MPC 2 ins (sample)
    PTle midi sync to MPC

The cool thing about the venice is, on the mono channel i can use mic and line at the same time. so i can plug the nt2 and the Right channel of my MPC at the same time.
    this set up allows me to sample from any of my instruments/MAC/Tables/etc. into my MPC or into the MAC. I can track and edit in protools and submix down to 6 channels back into the VENICE for summing and eqs.

Upgrades in the future might be ABLETON LIVE, a few RNCs, maybe an effects box, more guitar pedals. i have two auxs and two fx unused and every channel has insterts so i can buy more...

i just wanna know
    DOES THIS LOOK LIKE IT WILL WORK?
    Before i drop 2500 for this thing i need to know that this will last....so if i am missing anything, please let me know.
    THANKS
    Jeff

2. jkung

jkung Guest

anyone?? kurt kevin?

3. dubsax

dubsax Guest

a venice will sound way better(and will lastlonger ) than that piece of $*^t behringer and mackie....you should also ckeck out the speck xtramix...for hip hop , you really dont need much gear...throw some more analog flavor in there..good luck :c: :s:

4. Clueless

Clueless Guest

Having just bought a Midas 240 for $3000 from soundbroker.com (talk to Richard), I can tell you from my experience:

1. You will hear the Midas quality difference vs. Mackie (my previous board) immediately

2. Always, always, always buy 8 more input tracks than you need (this is true regardless of what brand you buy).

I've spent a fair deal of time and am slowly realizing that for EFX returns, I don't just want returns, I want to EQ them through the board. Can I do that? No, beacuse I was so exact on the board configuration going in.

Now, if you must rack-mount, then of course the 160 is your only choice, and if you want to expand that, you'll need to look at serious $$ for an XL42 ($1600 for two channels) or Speck EQs, or whatever. But if you have the space, spend the extra $500 and buy a board you'll be happy to grow into, the 240.

In fact, if you want to buy mine, I'll buy the 320 that I should have bought! What a deal...

M

5. jkung

jkung Guest

thanks for the replies all
    i was thinking about the 240 as well. good points on the fx returns being eqs. i actually do not need it to rack mount so thats not a prob there....and if you are willing to sell the 240 hmmm.... email me jeffreykung@excite.com
    thanks yall