1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

MIDI Craziness with Cubase SX 3...MSB,LSB????

Discussion in 'Cubase' started by munkee, Jun 15, 2005.

1. munkee

munkee Guest

I just added another sound module to my setup(Korg NS5R). It has 15 different banks. I can get Cubase to get into the first 3, in the inspector, but beyond that I can't. The Cubase manuals have nothing on MSB/LSB banks. Or at least I haven't seen it.

I've tried to setup a Midi Device in the "Midi Device Manager", but I can't get it to work.

My NS5R Midi info states that the Bank Select of MSB:LSB:

01:xx
    02:xx
    03:xx etc

Then there's:
    00:01
    00:03 etc

Others are:

52:xx
    53:xx

7E:xx(126)
    3D:xx(61)...(I learned these are Hexidecimals...why do they even need hexidecimals??? why don't they just say 126 or 61???)

Anyway, when I type in the MSB/LSB in the Midi Inspector bank section it won't go to the corrosponding bank in the NS5R.

Could this be an issue within SX or my NS5R. I didn't think I needed to be a Physics major to get into MIDI???? :(

2. munkee

munkee Guest

Thanks to MIDI OX I found the bank change numbers. But now I have a new problem. I have 5 hardware devices they are using all 16 midi tracks...I know I can add more midi tracks, but I need to add more Midi channels. It seems Cubase SX 3 only allows me 16 midi channels...Right? The manual seems to make it sound that way. My NS5R has 32 midi channles. I can't get Cubase to respond to channels 17-32? Would this be set on the module or within Cubase???

3. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

Munkee, I ASSume you have all of your gear daisy-chained? If so, undo & squash that notion. It seems to me that you're in need of a good 8x8 midi patchbay (interface) or something to that effect. I use a MOTU MTP A/V in my arsenal and have been doing so for some time now. You'll have full control over the modules' basic parameters through the host program you're using.

4. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

Also, to add to what I just posted. Each midi port (from your midi interface), represents 16 individual sounds or tracks. Therefore, if you combine a series of midi ports, this will add to your total of available midi channels/tracks you can have. The more midi interfaces you have, the more midi channels there will be.