1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Midi lag - bought new computer and didn't fix it.

Discussion in 'Recording' started by jaybar, Apr 4, 2010.

1. jaybar

jaybar Active Member

Hello everyone. I've got a Tascam US-144 and a Studiologic midi controller. All I'm trying to accomplish right now is to get my Midi controller to play piano sounds so I can learn to play. So I'm not using any recording software right now. I used to have a P4, 1GB Ram, IDE HD, Win XP computer and was using CVPiano software that came with the Tascam. I didn't notice the lag initially but when my piano player friend came by he could not play because of the delay. Now I can notice it. I had my settings as they are supposed to be (Background services priority, low latency). Anyway I figured it was my computer so I picked up a monster computer. Windows 7, 4GB DDR2 Ram, AMD Phenom Quad, 2 SATA drives (one for applications and one for recordings.) the delay is still there! I can get to Low Latency (not lowest because it starts to pop). Oh also, I am not using CVPiano because it does not work with Win7 so I found a freeware piano sequencer called Midipiano.
    So:
    1) No other applications running.
    2) High end computer
    3) US-144 on Low Latency
    4) Processing priority set to Background Services
    5) Very latest US-144 drivers.

I'm not sure if the problem is with the Tascam, Studiologic Midi Controller, or computer.
    Thank you for the help!

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Are you monitoring with headphones? From the US-144 or from the midi keyboard?

3. jaybar

jaybar Active Member

I am monitoring through the US-144 and powered speakers.