1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

midi tracking issues

Discussion in 'Recording' started by mikecornett, Jan 12, 2006.

1. mikecornett

mikecornett Guest

Hello all,

I'm tracking with an m-audio 49e controller, along with the sustain pedal. I'm running through some VSTi synths and while tracking, everything seems perfect. Although, upon playback, the areas where I was running off the sustain pedal seem to cut out. What could be the cause of this? If it makes any difference, I'm running the keyboard via USB. Would using the MIDI be better?

I'm running samplitude with a presonus firebox.
  2. Derm

Derm Guest

Hey Mike,
    Did you check in Sam's midi editor to see whats going on?
  3. mikecornett

mikecornett Guest

I just looked in the midi editor, and it actually doesn't seem to be tracking the sustain in there....strange, because upon playback, the sustained notes are all audible, but in the program itself, they aren't being tracked?

I'm not sure how that's possible...Am I not tracking/playing back something properly?

I'm pretty new to the whole midi game.
  4. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Distinguished Member

Feb 9, 2005
    South Florida
    Home Page:
    I'm confused. In your first email you said:

Then in your next one you say:

So what is the problem? I don't understand exactly what the problem is but I'll take a stab at it anyway.

When you use the sustain pedal on a note it doesn't change the actual MIDI note data. The sustain pedal information is transmitted as a midi controller on control number 64. Look in your software for where it displays midi controller information and then look on the specific midi channel you are using for the sustain pedal information.
  5. mikecornett

mikecornett Guest

Sorry, I meant upon playback of the exported wav/mp3 file the sustain wasn't showing up.

I figured it had something to do with a midi channel being misconfigured, but I wasn't sure how to go about fixing it.

What exactly should I be looking for?
  6. mikecornett

mikecornett Guest

I think I figured it out....I went into the Midi controller options, and made sure that ctrl 64 is visible and active on channel 1....

Seems to work thus far...Thanks!