1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Midrange S'card + Nice Conv's OR Better S'card only?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by skan, Aug 31, 2006.

1. skan

skan Guest

Hello all,

I need to get a souncard for my new setup and the two options I am considering at the moment are;

a) buy an midrange soundcard (Motu Ultralite or similiar) but bypass the inbuilt converters by adding something quite nice (but not too high end as finances don't allow, say a Benchmark etc...)

b) to buy a nice all-in-one box (say a Metric Halo ULN-2 or an RME FF400, etc...) and have it all in one box.

Will the difference be appreciable given the examples above?

I don't have access to all this stuff so I will be buying blind...my research to date steers me to option 'a' but maybe the MHL/RME units are really as great as they are reviewed to be???

P.S I have a good sounding room, Dyn BM6's, limited but decent gear (Empirical Labs/Lexi/Avalon etc..) so I want to keep it all quality without going overboard in any one area...

Thanks for any thoughts...
  2. skan

skan Guest

Pretty please...any thoughts at all?
  3. bassmutant

bassmutant Guest

Do a search on http://www.gearslutz.com. I think some specific ideas about what your going to do would help define what is best as well.