1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Miking an Upright piano????

Discussion in 'Piano' started by SPLstudio, Apr 11, 2005.

1. SPLstudio

SPLstudio Guest

Now that's the question that has been in my homework for like a week..............without answer.
    How do you would mik an Upright piano???
    :shock: :shock: :? :? :?

2. rudedogg

rudedogg Guest

I did some recording on a 1930's steinway with matched set of Oktava MC-012s in XY above the lid with it open. Panned the mics hard L/R and it sounded wonderful. A small bit of compression, and a boost in the low-mids and it was like you were right there.

the most important thing is to get the stereo spread so when you crescendo from low to high or vice versa, you get the sound that is BIG.

Some other methods would be an OMNI and cardiod in M-S and depending on the room use a spaced pair of LD condenser mics hard panned to L/R.

Try out a couple methods, find out what sounds good for your particular room / piano.

Steve

3. killersoundz

killersoundz Guest

I believe something like this depends on the room you're in very much also. Besides the importance of getting a stereo spread, i'd really like to have piano in a very rich, live room, full of reverb.

4. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

yeah, the room makes all the difference in the world with acoustic instruments...

5. inLoco

inLoco Active Member

:cool: i'm with xavier!

6. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

hey Vasco, how you been! How are your new mics -c414's right?