Millenia NSEQ-2 with Fred Forssell board

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by Michael Fossenkemper, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

wow, pretty nice sounding eq. doesn't sound anything like the stock version. very sweet midrange, actually sounds sweet all around. Just had a listen to Dave Mcnair's and was quite impressed. Pick up a used one and pop in the $800 board and you've got a nice eq.

2. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

Michael, tell me if I'm wrong here -

This mod, in part, actually *removes the tubes* no?

If that's the case, I may put the beast back on my "gotta have it" list...

3. JerryTubb

JerryTubb Guest

It's also on my short list to buy soon Mike.

I've enjoyed our NSEQ-2 for several years (sexy black mastering version), can't wait much longer to get the upgrade PC board. Here's a link to the upgrade info:

http://www.forsselltech.com/EQ Upgrade PCB.htm

JT

4. Michael Fossenkemper

Yes, it removes the tubes. The stock version never really did it for me. It was nice, Ok, but not ooohhhhh. The mod is oooohhhh.

5. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

Fred won't talk about it, because he is a nice guy, but Millennia wasn't very nice to him.

6. Michael Fossenkemper

That's a shame. IMO the Forssell mod GREATLY increased the value of this eq. I think anytime someone on their own, with their own money, makes a mod that makes their product better, should be welcomed with open arms.

7. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

No, this screwing was long ago.

He got no credit for his designs.

8. bblackwood

bblackwood Active Member

If you really love this EQ, you can simply wait a bit and buy a Forssell mastering EQ - Fred has stated that this board will be the main board for his own EQ he is working on...

9. Michael Fossenkemper

Great, another EQ I have to try out. hahaha.

Well if it's the same board, then it's going to sound nice. As long as he doesn't put big blue lights that radiate from the knobs....

10. FredForssell

FredForssell Active Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the kind words about my replacement main board the NSEQ-2.

Brad is correct in that I am working on an entirely new mastering eq which will use the replacement board as its main amplifier board, but the new EQ is at least a year away and will be very expensive... lots more expensive that an NSEQ-2 with a replacement board installed.

So, if you already have an NSEQ-2, or if you have purchase one on the used market you can greatly improve its sonic quality by installing the replacement board right now.

And not to worry... Forssell Technologies Inc is a blue LED free zone. I hate those things and you won't ever see one on our products. With the gear in my studio that has blue leds, I cover them with console marking tape so I don't have to look at them.

Cheers,

Fred Forssell

11. Michael Fossenkemper

Fred,
    thanks for stopping by and giving us the scoop. So I take it that your new eq will be more than just a re-work of the NSEQ-2? I read a little about it on your site.

Is there a difference between the mastering and other NSEQ-2 in regards to the sound with your board?

12. FredForssell

Yes. The new EQ is a completely new design. Unlike the NSEQ-2, it will use all discrete JFET filter amplifiers, have 5 bands per channel, all bands will be fully parametric, the two lowest bands and the two highest bands will be switchable from peak/dip to shelving response, and it will have a bunch of other things that I'd prefer to not mention just yet.

The new EQ is an EQ designed for mastering (unlike the NSEQ which I designed as a tracking EQ), so all functions will be stepped switches (21 pos for boost/cut, 24 pos for freq, and 6 pos for Q) using high quality Elma rotary switches. It will be housed in a 3U chassis with large knobs and graphics on all functions.

But as I said before... it will be expensive. Way more expensive that an NSEQ-2 with the mod board installed. And it won't be available until at least Sept 2007, if all goes well.

Sorry Michael but I don't understand your second question.

Cheers,
    Fred

13. Massive Mastering

I could be wrong, but I'm assuming he's referring to the detented version of the NSEQ2...

14. Michael Fossenkemper

Yes, the stepped version.

15. Massive Mastering

And for the record, if I snatch one of these beasts up, it'll be the stepped version... I assume the mod works the same, and yada, yada... Yes?

16. FredForssell

IIRC, the mastering mod involves replacing the continously variable controls (freq and Q) with stepped versions for easy recall. So other than that, the mastering and non-mastering versions should be the same. As always, YMMV.

The mod work with either version.

FF

17. Michael Fossenkemper

Fred, do you think there are difference's between the pots? Sound differences I mean.

18. FredForssell

No. They are (or were when I was part of MM) the exact same pot. The mastering version simply used a version of that pot with a detented section added.

But as I said, that was then. I have nothing to do with MM and have no contact or communication with them at all, so I have no idea what they are now doing with the products. Therefore, as always, YMMV.

I can take a stock unit and make is a mastering unit because I have the detented sections for the pots. I often do this with EQs that I've added my new main PCB to. Most of the people buying the new pcb are mastering people and they want the stepped controls for mid-band freq and Q. Mastering people also typically want the vastly improved sonic quality, selectable boost/cut gains, and elimination of the tube section that the my pcb offers.

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions.

Thanks,
    Fred Forssell

19. JerryTubb

JerryTubb Guest

OK Fred, That Does It !!!

I've delayed gratification long enough, send me one of the PC boards, I'm ready.

(seriously, I'll call you this afternoon with an order)

Cheers JT

20. Michael Fossenkemper

Jerry, let us here about it when you get it.

I told Jack the Bear to buy one already since he already had the NSEQ-2. I think he ordered it and it's on it's way. I'll have him post his thoughts when he gets it and puts it in. Now I'm looking around for a used one, hahaha.