1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mixed signals about my mixed bits

Discussion in 'Recording' started by redrabbit, Oct 18, 2004.

1. redrabbit

redrabbit Active Member

My signal wants to go out of my 'puter , to outboard effects, then back to 'puter.
    I have limited in/outs left on my soundcard (until I upgrade). I now have:

1 @ spdif I/O (or aes/ebu)
    1 @ toslink I/O (this actually acts as a split off the spdif)
    2 stereo analog inputs (4ch)

I also have 2 outboard effects I want to use that need routing:

1 @ Lexicon PCM80 (18bit)
    1 @ Valley 730 dynamap compressor(20bit)

I'm thinking about two ways to do this:

One is way is use Toslink I/O with the compressor and use the Spdif I/O with the reverb. They will share the same split signal.

Another way is to send the Spdif to an older Lucid ADA1000 (20bit) , then send the converted analog signal to a Rane 8ch buffered splitter, which sends signals to the compressor and reverb , then back to the soundcard's analog INs, via the effect's analog I/Os.
    The idea for doing it this way is I can recieve the effects on different channels in my host CubaseSL (4 analog INs), plus have 4 extra signal outs (Rane will give me 8 total).

Qs:

1) Are the different bit depths in a chain going to need special attention?
    2) If I go with the D/A (second idea) , am I using way too many conversions and degrading the signal unnecessarily....(Lucid's D to A, and the effect's 2 internal conversions, then back to soundcard)??

=RR=

2. redrabbit

redrabbit Active Member

..still wondering.

3. redrabbit

redrabbit Active Member

OK,
    I'll ask it this way. Which is better?:

#A:

24 bit digital OUT from soundcard, to an effect's 18 bit IN, and back to soundcard's digital in.

or

#B

Soundcard's analog OUT , to outboard's analog IN, and back to soundcard's analog in.

?????
    someone's gotta have an opinion.

4. Thomaster

Thomaster Guest

option B is better

A will get you a 18bit signal going IN, whereas B will give you 24 bit after A/D conversion.
    (i might be wrong, but hey its 1:32am and im tired)
    option B is better if you dont go through that same 18bit effect u talked about in option A. (itll still process the sound at 18bit no matter if it gets analog or digital input..)

still with me?
    i am completely lost:p
    DONT ASK THESE THINGS:) sorry

5. Thomaster

Thomaster Guest

how about buying some extra bits for that 18bitter effects thing?

i have a couple of (or should i say a bit) bits left of my last cd-listening experience. (as a matter of fact i have 8 bits left) wanna have some?

am i getting too caught up in this audio-stuff?