1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mixers - Roland? Soundcraft? Mackie?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Pace, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Pace

Pace Guest

Hi everyone.

I'm thinking of buying a bigger mixer, but something within budget (hence posting here).
    Now, I've come across a few offers of second-hand mixers, among which the following:
    - Roland M16E
    - Soundcraft Folio SX
    - Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro

Is there one you would suggest, or are the ones where you would tell me to forget about them?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Pre Amp

Pre Amp Guest

I owned a Mackie 1604.
    It worked fine for me, day in day out.
    I have seen alot of good deals on used Mackie's (cheaper than buying one new).
  3. Jeremy

Jeremy Active Member

Aug 9, 2005
    From LV but Army brought me to TN
    I own a mackie 1202, and this little guy is worth every penny I had paied for it. Also I own a soundcraft 200b the 24 track version. It has really cool british preamps. The soundcraft is of the 2 that I own is better, but It is in another league from the mackie I own, so it would be unfair to square them off not being in the same weight class. ya know what I meen? Hope you can gather anything useful from this post.
  4. Pace

Pace Guest

Okay, thank you for your responses.

Now I have another query.

What is the best way to connect such mixers to computers?
    I have a very simple soundcard with only a microphone port (Line In) and a speaker line (Out). Is that enough to connect to a mixer using a cable, or do I absolutely have to buy
    - a new soundcard (must be iMac G3-compatible)
    - an external firewire device (such as TerraTec's Aureon 7.1)
    - …

Thanks again in advance for any help.