1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mixes are Finally Sounding Better!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by wafuradio, Nov 15, 2005.

1. wafuradio

wafuradio Guest

Hello Everyone...

Been lurking around here for a while, reading all the posts, searching for answers all in the effort to improve my recordings. Finally after making changes, some which are obvious and have been talked about here over and over again, I am finally getting mixes that sound great and translate everywhere I go. I am so thankful for all the great information I just needed to share.

In hopes of helping someone else who is still learning like me, here are the things that I did:

1. Treated my control room area: You would be amazed at what carefully placed acoustical foam will do.

2. Purchased better monitors: I bought the Dynaudio BM5A and could not believe what I was not hearing. Best $1000 I ever spent.

3. Bought a great microphone that worked for my voice: I ended up with the Lawson L47, but i tried a few until I found the right one.

4. Eliminated using my Mackie mixer's eq and pre-amps: What a nightmare this was. who knew it was so bad? I now own an Avalon M5 and a ISA 220 Session Pack, but i tried a few until i found ones that i liked. Depending on what I am recording, I will use one of those and go directly into my converters.

5. Created a vocal area and treated it heavily: This helped me get rid of all those weird sounds I picking up with my new microphone. I created a nice dead space

6. Really concentrated on getting a great sound at the source instead of trying to fix it in the mix: I know this really sounds like a no brainer, but I overlooked it many times.

I am just mentioning the gear that i ended up using. For you, it might be different. I just know for me that making these changes has made all difference.
  2. axel

axel Guest

:D :D :D GREAT!!
  3. aztec

aztec Guest

Sounds good :>

I bought the bm5A for a friend just yesterday (and korg legacy digital edition for myself). I use genelecs but the bm5a's are really a good choice.

My friend has called me 5 times to thank me after i installed the monitors yesterday, he thought he was deaf all this time.