Mixing and Mastering Contracts?

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by diz, Dec 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. diz

diz Guest

A guy is about to mix and master my CD and I want a contract to make sure everything goes smoothly. Does anyone have any mixing and mastering contracts?

2. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

Diz,

We have a "contract" that we have our mastering clients sign but it is bascially concening things like copyrights and payments. I have never had to sign a contract from a client*. What are you hoping to accomplish with this contract?

-TOM-

*except for non-disclosure.

3. johnwy

johnwy Well-Known Member

The only thing that maybe of interest to you is at the music legal forms website

http://www.musiclegalforms.com/cat-engineerwork.html

Its an engineer work for hire agreement which basically states that the engineer will receive a one time only payment for services and recognizes that all the copyrights belong to the employer (as stated on the website).

Personally, I have never been asked to sign such an agreement. Usually the only "contract" that I have ever received or asked for as an engineer is either a purchase order from a management company/production company/record label, which for me is basically a guarantee of payment for services (to be) renderred, or negotiated production points if I have been asked to help produce the project. For cash sessions I will usually ask for a little money up front just to guarantee the client that they have exclusively booked me for the time that they want to work.

Copyrights, as far as I am concerned, belong to the client/artist unless I have had significant input to the writing of the song/project. And usually those are hopefully pre-arranged.