1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mobile Laptops: Windows or Mac?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by jstone, Mar 12, 2007.

1. jstone

jstone Guest

Hello!

If one was to dedicate a laptop completely to (primarily) audio and (some) video editing, which is more condusive? Windows or Mac? I am going to be recording live music, running loops, creating beats, etc., and also editing a lot of pictures and some video.

Would a Mac be preferred for this? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks in advance for any input.

J

2. Music_Junky

Music_Junky Active Member

You can run Windows on a mac. If I was going to buy my self a laptop I would go for the mac and try both OSX and Windows and do some testing on preformance.

3. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Both Platforms are great so either is a good choice. What's more important is what software do you want to run or are you currently running? Some software only runs on a certain platform so choose your software first and the platform choice may be made for you.

4. freesignal

freesignal Active Member

MAC! Hands Down! But then again, my vote is biased. :D In reality I would have to go with Big_D's answer though.

5. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

For video I would go Mac, Apple has a current offer buy a new Mac get a discount of Final Cut Express HD.

You can keep and use your windows software, Apple has the Boot Camp technology that allows you to dual boot OSX/ XP/ Linux.
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

You can now run windows XP in an OSX window, safely behind OSXs UNIX firewall, with virualization software from Parallels.
    http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

So with the Mac hardware you have more software choices that will run natively, and OSX is UNIX so if you are adventurous a recompile will allow you to run UNIX apps also.

8)