1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Monitor amp upgrade Q

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Brian Middleton, Jun 20, 2001.

1. One of the weaker links in my current setup is the Samson 240 power amp I'm using to drive my Event 20/20 monitors. Not only is it, well, a Samson, but it's a mite underpowered at 120 watts a side (the 20/20s are rated at 150 program/200 peak).

I'm starting to look at alternatives, and the Hafler P3000 is the early front-runner. Anybody have any advice on this beast? Will it be a big enough improvement over the Samson to be worth the money ($500)? Any other amps you would recommend in more or less this price range? Or do I really need to spend more $ to hear a serious difference?

Thanks for your help,
    Brian

2. Jon Best

Jon Best Active Member

The Hafler's a good amp, and I don't think you'd regret buying it. Buying the biggest Hafler Pxxxx you can afford is probably a good way to get a lot of expandable bang for the buck. However, you may want to look at what exactly you're trying to fix. I had the unpowered 20/20's myself, and an alesis RA100 (this was a few years ago!). I had some trouble with sound- it was just never full, and it was a little edgy in the high mids. Before I bought a new amp, I tried some amps I had lying around- a Crown Power Base 2, a QSC 850, and some other really big amps. While I did hear an improvement in the setup, the overall sound didn't change remarkably. Replacing the speakers with a pair of NHT Super Ones turned out to be the ticket.

SO, if you are happy with the general tonality of your system, but want a little more transient response and immediacy, then yes, go for a new amp. If you're not happy at all, it's time to listen to speakers!

Originally posted by Brian Middleton:
    One of the weaker links in my current setup is the Samson 240 power amp I'm using to drive my Event 20/20 monitors. Not only is it, well, a Samson, but it's a mite underpowered at 120 watts a side (the 20/20s are rated at 150 program/200 peak).

I'm starting to look at alternatives, and the Hafler P3000 is the early front-runner. Anybody have any advice on this beast? Will it be a big enough improvement over the Samson to be worth the money ($500)? Any other amps you would recommend in more or less this price range? Or do I really need to spend more $ to hear a serious difference?

Thanks for your help,
    Brian