Monitor amp (which one)

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by eddies880, Sep 5, 2006.

1. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Got a brand new set of JBL 4410As,and about 500 bucks for an amp.
    Any ides on an amp to give me that clean,quiet,transparant,true power to push the JBLs

2. d-gautam

d-gautam Guest

Hi,
    I have tested my JBL4410a with Alesis RA100 & HAFLER P4000. HAFLER sounds much better.

3. corrupted

corrupted Guest

I have a Yamaha somthin'-or-other amp, it works fine for me... but I don't have JBL's.
    I'd recommend Hafler all the way, I know a few people that have them and swear by them.

4. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

you might be able to find a used bryston 4B for that price too.

5. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Mike
    Do you think that a Bryston 2b is sufficient?

6. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Hafler----Ive also heard good reviews from this amp.

7. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

I don't think a 2B would be umph enough. 4B would be the way to go. They're out there, just keep hunting. They also have like a 20 year warranty.

8. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

I actually *have* a 4B that I'm selling... Out of warranty, but... I mean, it's a Bryston for cryin' out loud... Did anyone's ever actually need repair? :lol:

9. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Why did I know you were gonna say that Mike?
    I saw one go on e-bay about 500,plus s&h.
    My main problem is the amount of room,the room I plan on using for mastering isnt but,15ft wide,and about 30ft long.

10. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

John,upon searching for reviews on the 2B,I stumbled on a review (for the life of me cant remember which one) where you used a 2B and praised the amount of dbs it was able to produce,do you happen to remember? :shock:

11. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

I believe I did... Can't remember where / for who...

12. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Niether can I,but in the review,you mentioned having to use it as a back up for some reason or other,and was impressed by it.
    I know that youre selling yours,but I have to keep in mind,that I dont have a nice "roomy" mastering room,and Im not pushing the big and bad ass Nautilus 803s (like someone I know :? )
    THe JBL 4410As arent that big,but needless to say,it sometimes always happens to me that I end up with not enough.
    I see about doing a search and see if I can find that thread.

13. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Found it.
    http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/bryston/amplifiers/PRD_116285_1583crx.aspx

14. Zilla

Zilla Active Member

I would advise against hafler amps. They are too grainy, in my opinion. The Bryston 4B is a nice amp, and some of the older Yamaha amps are quite good and affordable.

15. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

HOw about a Bryston 3b?

16. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

The 3b has more than enough juice for most applications. If you really want to open it up a bit more though, the 4b will do the trick.

Also, check into some used B&Ks. They're very, very nice and can be found cheap sometimes.

J.

17. Zilla

Zilla Active Member

I have not listened to them, so I can't speak from experience. 150W per side is kind of low. Would rather have 200-300W, personally.

18. Cucco

Really?? :shock:

Even with modestly sensitive speakers (say, 86dB/wm), you should be capable of sustained levels of 108.5 dB and, knowing Bryston's headroom capabilities, peaks of 111 dB for a good 50 ms or more. That's awfully loud.

I mean, I like more wattage too, but....150 is pretty nice for all but the biggest and most power hungry speakers.

19. Zilla

Zilla Active Member

Its not about loud. Its about control. Explained loosely: the more power an amp has, the more muscle it has to firmly control the movement of the speaker. Therefore less distortion.

I remember my first experience with amp overkill. I walked into a studio I was to work at and heard some NS-10's putting out some shockingly decent audio quality. I asked what they had done to the NS-10s. They replied "nothing". The reason was that each speaker had 500W behind it! Not for increase SPL, but for more accurate reproduction.

20. Cucco

That's making an interesting assertion - that two identical amplifiers with equal design but unequal capacity will put out completely different sounds with an equal amount of current flowing from the outputs.

(In other words - the Bryston 3B and 4B will sound different even if both amplifiers are putting out the equivelant of 50 watts...)

I understand the issue with headroom. Are you suggesting that an amplifier performing at 80% capacity will perform different than one performing at 60% capacity all other things being equal? I'm sure there is some, but what is the science behind that?

J.