1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

monitor question

Discussion in 'Recording' started by perfectwave, May 26, 2005.

1. perfectwave

perfectwave Guest

I just purchased a pair of the dynaudio nearfields, I was wondering what's the best way to match my room to these speakers. I have lots of 2" auralex pyramid foam. Ive herd of a mirror trick where you put foam on the walls according to the reflection?? not quiet sure about that. My control room is pretty small (8x8), with a glass slider to my right. Any help here would be of great assistance.

2. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

I would be VERY conservative with the 2" foam (you shouldn't need more than a sheet or two in that room) and concentrate on low end absorption - In an 8x8 room, that's going to be a nightmare.

3. Kevin Glenn

Kevin Glenn Guest

The mirror trick is still not a bad idea... and I agree also with the above.. start off conservative. Dont just slap it all up or you will wind up with a crappy sounding room. Start small, increments added as needed.
    Good luck,
    kev

4. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

But don't be conservative with bass trapping - It won't be physically possible to put too much in an 8x8 room unless it's actually blocking your view of the speakers.

Well, that *might* be an overstatement... But not by much...

5. perfectwave

perfectwave Guest

Thanks for all the help guys, Another question: what's the best way to measure the response of a room? Or what is the best way for me to go about finding out what corrections i need to make in freq response? (real world examples). One benefit of my control room is that one wall is at about a 30 degree angle, so at least im not dealing with a perfect box . Also the roof has a pitch which i think helps too.

6. karbomusic

karbomusic Active Member

Try searching for ETF5 over in the acoustics & design forum. Its a software program for measuring room response. You should find a wealth of information there.

There is a demo of ETF5 available for download I believe.

Hope this helps-

Karbo