1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Monitor selector

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by therecordingart, Jun 22, 2005.

  1. therecordingart

    therecordingart Well-Known Member

    I'm going to be running 2 pairs of monitors and a sub and want to be able to switch between the monitors and toggle the sub on and off. Anyone have some advice?

    I can't a afford the Presonus Central Station so that is out of the question.
  2. anonymous

    anonymous Guests

    What about that Mackie "Big Knob"?
    Will that work fur ya?
  3. David French

    David French Well-Known Member

    Hey Stu, you spelled 'for' wrong.

  4. CharlesDayton

    CharlesDayton Active Member

    I thought he was going for the southern "fir". How about the Sure monitor selector?
  5. anonymous

    anonymous Guests

    You's guys are toooo much! :lol:
    I recently moved to PA, I used to live in VA, all the "folks" round here, make fun of my accent.
    I never knew I was such a hick, til I moved away from all the rebel flags down yonder.
  6. frob

    frob Well-Known Member

    presonus has a couple monitor selectors that mite suit you.

    not to get off subject :) :)
  7. anonymous

    anonymous Guests

    Where you at "therecordingart"? Were taking over your post with a bunch of non-sense. Well at least I am. :oops:
    Which one you think might work fir ya?
  8. therecordingart

    therecordingart Well-Known Member

    I liked it better as fur.
  9. Big_D

    Big_D Well-Known Member

    Sorry Art I gotta ask,

    Stu, You live in PA, where?

    Okay back to you Art, A free solution is to use different outs on your mixer. I use the main outs for nearfields, the alt/3-4 to feed my reference mons and the control room out to feed my HP amp. My board (Onyx 1620) also has another set of main outs that I send to a PA amp for jamming. Just food for thought.

    BTW, Stu the pecking order is like this

    Chris is always right

    Kurt is usually right

    Mods and members are sometimes right


    Reads like a Cosmo sex poll doesn't it.
  10. Reggie

    Reggie Well-Known Member

    Hey I got a similar question fir/fur somebody:
    Can any of you recommend a switcher for using one power amp to power 2-3 pairs of monitors (one at a time of course)? I know such a thing ekzists for consumer stereos, but I don't know about this.
    Cause see I'm think about investing in a good reference amp and getting a couple pairs of nice passive monitors down the road. Maybe BM6 and then Wharfdale passives. Then every time I get G.A.S. for the next greatest monitor, I can save some money by getting the passives, and probably end up with a better sound with a Hafler or Bryston amp or whathaveyou.
  11. Massive Mastering

    Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

    Reggie - You must need a simple passive switch.

    Art - The PreSonus Central station... "A or B + C" switching (one sub works with both speaker sets and can be toggled OR solo'd up), easily calibrated, very uncolored for as cheap as it is, and a pretty decent monitoring D-A also.
  12. foldedpath

    foldedpath Guest

    Coleman makes a nice (but expensive) rackmount passive volume/switcher. They also make this box, which might work as a dirt cheap solution if you don't need volume control:


  13. iznogood

    iznogood Guest

    i tried a big knob...... it sucked!!

    at low levels only the right speaker was playing!

    and all those controls and trims are bound to make it sound worse than it could.......
  14. Boltino

    Boltino Guest

    I second the Central Station. It's very well set up w/ a lot of inputs and outputs and it's much more transparent than the Big Knob. The Central Station is one of the best purchases I've made.

  15. CharlesDayton

    CharlesDayton Active Member

    Sorry, I need to correct my post. Not Sure, but Samson C- Monitor. Gives you A, B, and C monitors. Multiple sources, and wont break the bank. I'm assuming you don't want to spend the money on the big boys like MonitorMax.
  16. Reggie

    Reggie Well-Known Member

    Nah, I guess this is what I am really looking for:

    I'm just not sure how the binding post things hook up with a reference amp. Don't they usually use 1/4" speaker cable?
  17. SPLstudio

    SPLstudio Guest

    There's a electronic surplus store.
    they sale a speaker selector for home theathers,
    the only think i did was took away the TRS connectors and insert the wire . i had 3 modes a/b/c
    about 50$
    no volume knobs.
  18. Kev

    Kev Well-Known Member

    I'm working on some DIY projects in this area.

    ... and I feel that for most people, a remote controlled unit is the way to go.
    This keeps the signal and speaker runs away from your desk top and over in the rack where they belong.

    passive local switches ... no remote
    a follow up unit that is remote and relay controlled is in the works
    not much here yet and really it is just a remote volume control
    just a stereo in and talk over unit ... with a dim to program level as you talk

    I'm sure that one day the major manufacturesr will get this right and I wont need to have a DIY project
    but until then ....

Share This Page