1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Monitor suggestions

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Hinamatsuri, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Hinamatsuri

Hinamatsuri Guest

I need some suggestions for a pair of high-quality, accurate, close-field monitors for sound-design work. By "accurate," I simply mean as faithful a reproduction of the signal as I can reasonably get. Whether that means a perfect impulse response and a phase-aligned system or whatever other design spec, I don't really know.
    I don't have a lot of room, so these monitors should be designed to be used at about a meter to a meter+half out. No more than two meters. Preferably, they should have good LF extension, but I don't have a problem with adding a sub or two. They also need to do well at reproducing most any kind of material, not voiced for any particular kind of music. To give you a better idea of what I want, I have a pair of Dunlavy SM-1's off a Bryston 5B-ST and I like that setup. But it doesn't work in the close-field. If I could have something like that, though, which worked in the close-field, that would be ideal. I've considered the smaller SC I/AV's, but I have not auditioned them.

From the RAP archives, I've read suggestions for Quested, Dynaudio, ATC and Spendor (and a few others). But I haven't been able to audition any of those yet. What I'd like to know is, what manufacturers and specific monitors should I go to the expense (shipping costs/travel) of auditioning, based on what I said I wanted?

Also, I'd rather go with passive monitors and prefer not to spend more than about US$2K. I hope that's not unreasonable. Magnetically shielded drivers would also be good, but not a necessity. Pro or consumer hi-end/hi-fi, doesn't matter. They don't have to be road-ready and I won't play them that loudly, especially not in this room.

Please, any suggestions are welcome.