1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

monitor switching...

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by iCit, Nov 30, 2004.

1. iCit

iCit Guest

Can anyone recommend a monitor switching device to me? I've got two or maybe three monitors and one power amp - i'd like to switch between them easliy without changing the sound at all - so something passive (right?).

I've considered the samson c-control - it has talk-back which would actually be really nice, and I don't want to spend more than $100, so that's nice too, but it's so cheap looking. I'd rather it be some black, or at least rack-mountable metal thing. I don't really have much of a service to even set the c-control on.

Any suggestions? I'm open to even some radio-shack cheap switch I could put under my desk out of sight. The talk-back on the c-control would be cool though.

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

sincerely,
    nathan peterson

2. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

You'll need a switch that handles speaker level - The C-Control, Central Station, Big Knob, etc. won't do this.

RadShack used to have a decent switch...

I'd try a home theatre store perhaps - Make sure you get one that will EASILY handle whatever power you're sending at it. Nice ones won't be very cheap...

3. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

I've struggled with this problem also.
    I finally had my tech custom build a 4 speaker switching unit.
    I don't think going with a Radioshack or Niles is a good idea. They are both rated at about 70 watts. Also, they both have really cheap connectors for the speaker leads.

Remember, your putting a lot of juice through a speaker switch.

Find a good tech and have them build you a heavy-duty unit.

Chris

4. iCit

iCit Guest

i don't know any techs. if i can get something that would handle 100w i should be fine. any ideas of pre-made items?

5. fbars

fbars Guest

Check out the Furman SRM-80A, I like mine a lot, very versatile.
    You can find the "info" at http://www.furman.com, might be what your looking for!

Tom
    First Bass Audio

6. studio101nola

studio101nola Active Member

I want to switch between three or more speakers using only one amp.

Signal flow as follows: Ashley Protea EQ System (128 presets i can switch easily between presets), EV amp, The switch I need to buy(or build), Yamaha NS10s and/or Alesis Monitor Two, and/or home speakers. Because I have the Ashley EQ I think it would be cost effective to use it instead of buying more amps.
    Niles makes a 10 way that does 200 watt RMS on ALL 10 set of speakers at ONE TIME but it is active and I think it may "color" my sound too much. I would prefer clean signal to having all 10 speakers at one time, but that is nice.

OR do you think something like this would work: Untitled Document