1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Monitoring question?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by freak443, Nov 2, 2006.

  1. freak443

    freak443 Guest

    I hve my studio set up and am using a mixing desk as a level control between my soundcard and my monitors, i have rack pre amps for my inputs so don't really have the need for a desk at all, my soundcard has no volume controls just jack outputs and my monitors have the gain controls on the back, so is there some kind of box that i can use for a volume control so i can get rid of the bulky mixing desk. I have looked at the mackie 'Big Knob' but dont really want all those features and also don't want to pay £250 just for a little volume control.

    Thanks for any help
  2. pr0gr4m

    pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

    Well, sticking with what you have is probably best, because of all the units I know of, they all cost $200 plus. These are things like the Mackie Big Knob or the PreSonus Central Station. Both of those actually do more that what you want which is why they cost more.

    If you're handy, I'm sure there has to be a DIY solution out there somewhere.
  3. Kev

    Kev Well-Known Member

    did someone say DIY ?

    as has been said, they can do more than just the volume
    Dangerous ST Mon at the most expensive and very good
    DIY for the simple and not so simple
    Texas Volume chip PGA2320
    ... see my site and do the google thing
    lots of options
  4. pr0gr4m

    pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

    I though you might chime in on this one...however I don't really follow that Haiku-ish response.
  5. Boswell

    Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

    You could probably get away with using a simple passive attenuator. Are your sound card outputs and the monitor inputs balanced or unbalanced?

    Some possibilities to investigate:
  6. freak443

    freak443 Guest

    theyre balanced, DIY is a possibility, but i thought that they'd make something cheap that does it! is there some sort of step by step guide on how to make something because im not too great at any of that stuff, and i want something reasonable.
  7. Boswell

    Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

    You could try these kits:
    The RelVol3 is the balanced version.
  8. Kev

    Kev Well-Known Member

    yep that one is from Mikkel Simonsen and I currently use it in a Headphone Amp unit
    obviously with the remote control ... see the dawmonswitch_3.htm page

    Mikkel is very helpfull
  9. TeddyG

    TeddyG Well-Known Member

    Try an SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2 for about $150(US). Soundcard speaker attenuator, "patch bay" for other inputs/outputs, and headphone amp. Works great and, you don't have to build it!


Share This Page