1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Monitors for classical and jazz mastering

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by stax, Aug 24, 2009.

1. stax

stax Active Member

Dear friends,
    I've taken the decision to change my main monitoring system but I don't really know what to do.
    Actually I'm using a very high quality italian passive loudspeakers set but the results are not good because I'm working in a small room and the speakers are very near a wall, on a desk, one is in a corner: the placement is completely wrong for this kind of speakers. The results are excessive bass, I could correct them with a equalizer but I really don't like all this digital DSQ available today (I prefer not converting too much my waves...) and a really good passive eq is too expensive for my budget.
    I mainly record, mix and master classical (mostly small ensembles and solo music) and jazz music.
    My choice is between two brands, Klein+Hummel and Focal Professional, both active because in this way I think I can correct a little my acoustic. I'd like to attach the speakers on the wall, in fron of me and my listening point will be only 1 meter or less far from the front speakers baffle.
    Unfortunately here in my city is quite impossible to listen those monitors so I'm asking you an advice: I like very much the K+H O110 (it's been said in this forum that is very flat and natural) but on Pro Audio Review the Focal CMS50 got a slightly better review than the K+H. Last I also really like the Focal Solo 6BE (for their extended range 40Hz-40kHz) but they are quite deep (29 cm) compared with the O110 (19 cm) or the CMS50 (20 cm) so my listening point will be even more near the front oudspeaker baffle. And how can I put the Solo 6 on the wall? On the rear I don't see any suspension point.
    Thank you very much for your support and sorry fo this long post!

2. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

For what you want monitors to do, and for the quality of the monitors you need, you either find a way to listen to the monitors your interested in, or you take one VERY big chance on being satisfied based on what you read in some biased trade mag or what a few people say on the internet.

That's the kind of thing that often leads you down the road of stupid.

Based on where you live you may not have as many options as many others, but there are usually ways to either hear the gear you want, or get gear you want to evaluate in your hands.

Yes, that will likely cost you time, money and effort.

How much is your time, money and regret worth if you get it wrong?