1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

monitors - horizontal placement?

Discussion in 'Monitoring & Headphones' started by Krou, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Krou

Krou Active Member

May 27, 2001
    The dilemma:

new KRK V6 monitors, new production desk with a monitor shelf. All is good but the speaker's woofers are at ear level instead of the tweeters (which is the general rule of thumb). The only monitors I had placed horizontally in the past were my old Alesis mk2's, which were on stands. I'm now wondering, how important is the "tweeter at ear level" approach? I have no problem laying these babies on their side, in fact, I find it aesthetically pleasing, and by doing so, I would have both tweeter and woofer on a more linear plane. I have read about phase problems which can occor with horizontal placement, just trying to gather some opinions as to which takes priority (possible skewed imaging or tweeter/ears).

That said, if I were to place them on their sides, should the tweeters point out or in? I know it's subjective (I've seen many setup pics with NS-10's or others, with woofs either pointing out or in, I guess it depends on the room, preference, etc.?). I know I could jusy try and find out, but there's no one here to help me, so by the time I give a good listen one way then change things around, I won't have a clue as to which really sounds better, y'know?

Any advice is welcome...
  2. David French

David French Distinguished Member

Jun 19, 2002
    You could get some Auralex mopads which would allow you to aim the speakers downward a bit. Plus, they would help isolate the speakers from the desk. I tried putting my monitors on their sides once to solve a similar problem and boy did it sound bad. I solved my problem by sawing three inches of my DIY PVC DWV (OMG :shock:) stands.
  3. Krou

Krou Active Member

May 27, 2001
    I forgot to mention that I do have the MoPads already, which made them even higher (if my chair could go any higher, I would just do that, lol...). Actually, I just tried placing them horizontally and I quite like the sound like this. I can tell something's different, but I can't isolate what it is exactly, just been listening to different CD's for the past hour, so far so good. I have the woofers out and tweeters in, btw.

I'll leave them like that for now, but of course, more opinions are welcome, there may be a big no-no I'm unaware of....