1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Monitors

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by Andy W., Nov 20, 2003.

1. Andy W.

Andy W. Guest

I am in the market for new monitors and I can't make my mind up which ones to get. I have a home studio and have been using KRK V4's and love them, but I want another pair to A/B. I was looking at the Mackie stuff and Genelec. My price range is $600 to $1000. I need a truly great, flat pair for mixing and mastering. Can someone help me?

2. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

Monitors are a very personal thing and the sound of them depends as much on the room as it does the ones you choose. Buying monitors that will meet the criteria you seek with a $1000 limit is unreasonable and very unlikely. The $1000 range for a pair barely qualifies for useable monitors, and is the absolute min. amount to spend on just one very good monitor. If you are dead set on that dollar limit, you will need to redefine you criteria.

3. brado32

brado32 Guest

1000 bucks is not a lot for decent monitors.. but if you can spend a little more, look at the blue sky system one's.. fantastic mids.. I never turn on my mackie 824's anymore..

-Brad

4. Andy W.

Andy W. Guest

I meant to also say that I am willing to spend up to $ 1400. The Mackies are about $699 a piece. This is more of what I am looking at. Sorry!

5. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

It would depend on whether you're looking for a near-field or a mid-field...You could find a good nearfield for the price you're talking,albeit used, a mid-field will cost a bunch more for 'flat' and for mastering.If you are wanting something thats truly in your criteria,avoid Mackie,Behringer,M-audio,Event,...basically all of the monitors one might find at yer friendly local Gittarget store.You will have to search at a Pro place.@ $1450 or so, you may be able to land a pair of Genelecs,Adams,or something along these lines...more than likely Used, and probably only a nearfield...but HEY...if you dont need it LOUD and want clarity and the "Truth In Monitoring" this is the way to go.

6. mike buzz

mike buzz Guest

You might want to check out the Tannoy system 800A's they are really nice near fields and cost about $1600 a pair new from Tannoy ( with rf shield , less without ) I have a pair they were recommended by Joe Chickarelli ( a very fine engineer ) and I have been very happy with them ( they are almost inpossible to find used !!! )
    Monitors are very subjective and user defined as to what sounds good ????

LAter
    Buzz

7. Andy W.

Andy W. Guest

What model of Genelecs should I look at? And I am looking for near field monitors.

8. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go any lower than the 1030's and would highly suggest the 1031's The 1031's are still an industry standard and can be used for Mastering. I own a pair of the 1031's that I find I can trust and just love them. A real joy to use and listen to. My recordings and mixing took at least a full step after getting them and getting used to them. I've also done budget Mastering projects with them with great results and happy clients. The 1032's can be used as near fields but are really more mid field with the extra power to get real loud and much better low end, but you may still need a sub for both if your looking for the real low end.

The newer ADAM monitors get a lot buzz and praise and are in the same league for price and performance as the Genelec's. I've only heard them at an AES show demo, but I didn't think they were really any better or worse then the Genelecs thou many may aruge about that.

9. robchittum

robchittum Guest

A tad bit higher than your $1400, but the dynaudio BM6A's are pretty darn great for the $1600 price tag. I have heard great stuff about the studio one monitors mentioned above, and would love to hear them myself. I may get blasted, but I've also heard the Mackie HR624's are pretty good,and correct some of the problems that have been highlighted on this site regarding the 824's. May be worth a look anyway, and I think they are around $1000 for the pair. Good luck.

Rob

10. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

:tu: You guys rock! I proud of ye lads!

11. JBsound

JBsound Guest

Have you tried the KRK V8's? I A/B'ed them with the mackie 824's, and the KRK's were definite winners. Mixes translate well.

For 1400 you might as well spring for the 1600/pr. Dynaudio BM-6a's.

Jeremy

12. bap

bap Member

BM6A speakers are beauties! Thought I could afford them...but alas! Got the Mackie 624's and am delighted with them. My eye is still on the Dynaudio's but for now, in my small room, I'm quite happy with the 624's.

13. Andy W.

Andy W. Guest

What's the big difference in the Mackie 824 and the 624?

14. bap

bap Member

624's are smaller - 6 1/2" bass driver instead of 8". You can find reviews around if you look. I can't tell you spec wise what the difference is.

I am a player and am just trying to learn about recording, and so hang out here to see if anything will rub off on me. I work [play]in various studios and see and hear the "good stuff" but for personal use am necessarily committed to getting the most that I can for my money.

One studio where do some work got Earthworks Sigma 6.2s and they are pretty nice [but way out of my price range].

15. sdelsolray

sdelsolray Active Member

I went through a similar situation. I chose Dynaudio BM6 along witha Hafler P3000 pwer amp. I already had the amp and I didn't hear much (if any) of a difference between he active Dynaudios and the passive ones with the Hafler. It's slightly over budget. but the passive Dynaudios run about $800, and the Hafler (new) can be had for about $430. Just a thought.
    --
    Stephen Boyke

16. reynep

reynep Guest

I went with the dyns too. I couldn't afford the BM6A so I bought the BM6 passives and got a second hand power amp - a QSC Series 3 350. I love them. I A/B'd the Dyns in the shop with all KRK V models as well as the usual cheaper models and couldn't get anything less than the BM6's.

get the BM6 passives, then search around for a second hand Crown DC300 mk2 or something. That will come in well under you 1400US budget.

17. slicraider

slicraider Guest

What do folks think of the Pro AC AC100s?

18. fetzir

fetzir Active Member

I've had a respected engineer from Nashville's music row turn me on to what he feels is one of the best secrets in the near field arena, the Event ASP 8's. You can street price a pair around $1100 delivered. He compared them to Mackie 824's and Genelec 1030's and felt the Events gave the best translation (between these three, in his room). I plan on ordering a set in the next few weeks to replace my pukey Alesis MK-II's. I've heard the 824's are a bit mid heavy and the Genelec's have a slight mid-scoop which makes things sound better than they really are...

Edward Bolda
    Spyder Byte Studios

19. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

I was just offered a pair for review today.. i will be getting them soon and I will let you all know what I think... pretty pricey..

I haven't heard them but I do not care at all for any of the Event monitors I have heard up to this point. I would be interested in hearing them. Perhaps I will cruise down to Guitar Center and take a listen.. :roll:

On the other hand, it is hard to knock anything from either Genelic or Dynaudio.. everything I have heard from them has been killer.

Mackies?

[ November 26, 2003, 02:24 AM: Message edited by: Kurt Foster ]

20. lionyouth

lionyouth Guest

genelec is a wonderfull company and the have done allot in the sense of bring the home studio closer to professional quality...the genelec is my first choice for monitors and the blue sky is great but the low response is not there for detailed mids and highs it is great with the exception of a slight peak in the high region maybe its because of the dual concentric diphragm tweeters...(needs a better crossover in that region) myself I would go for the genelec which I use at the studio ...also use mackies there but they make everything sound good and loud...you don't want that too punchy sound.....not to bother the market but I am in the process of DIY project to get a system I I I I I believe will give me a better system...costing me around 800 bones but finishe project is suppose to sound like 8000 bones....cross your fingers and pray for me the journey begins