1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

More input sensitivity or output gain?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Fenster, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Fenster

Fenster Guest

When recording a source I'm constantly trying to figure out how to get the maximum sound level before overdriving my pre. For instance when I stick my u195 in front of my plexi cabinet, I fool with my pre for hours trying to get a good balance between my output gain and input sensitivity. Where's a good starting point?

2. hargerst

hargerst Active Member

Set your channel slider to about 70% of its travel, then adjust your input gain till you get a healthy signal on the meters without lighting the clip light. At that point, you're done.

3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

hargerst said;
    Set your channel slider to about 70% of its travel, then adjust your input gain till you get a healthy signal on the meters without lighting the clip light. At that point, you're done.

Gad! You make it sound so simple!.........Fats

4. Hi everyone,

I find that when I record just below clipping level on my DPS16 I have no more headroom left for adding eq. It's quite a different world from analog. I'm trying to use eq to compensate for some loss of <body/fatness> in the sound (I don't really have words for this>. It seems I need to record at a lower level to save some headroom for later. I'm new to this so maybe I'm going in the wrong direction. Where can I find information on specific techniques for proper digital recording.

5. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Mario,
    You should be fine recording at a nominal level of -12 on the digital scale. Somewhere between -18 and -12 on digital (opinion varies) is where 0dB VU on analog is......Fats