1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

More Yamaha NS-10 Questions - Buying Used Tips and Model

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by kmdavidson, Jun 15, 2003.

1. kmdavidson

kmdavidson Active Member

Home Page:
    I have three questions regarding the infamous Yamaha NS-10's.

1. What exactly is the difference between the NS-10 and NS-10Ms?

2. Which tend to be the pro studio staple.

3. Since the only option is to buy these used, how does one go about buying them via ebay, etc. while making sure that they're in proper studio condition etc.?

Umm... also I know a lot of people have very strong opinions about other monitors, but to keep this thread short and sweet and to the point, it's probably best not to mention them...

By the way, this is my first post with recording.org. so if i've placed this question in the wrong forum or not properly searched for previous threads to answer these questions, please forgive me... thanks.

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

The NS10m’s are made to stand horizontaly while the NS10s are made to stand verticaly. Other than that the NS10M is a later model with the square tweeter grill as opposed to the old round grill on the NS10.. Both speakers are of professional grade, although some seem to prefer the older NS10’S (because it is older, I suppose).

3. omegaarts

omegaarts Guest

I have never been able to tell the difference between the sound of the two.
    As posted before parts (speakers and tweeters)
    are available.
    I haved used my NS10's (not m's) in both positions thru the years mainly to get the correct height, both ways work fine on either.

4. kmdavidson

kmdavidson Active Member

Home Page:
    Thanks guys...What about questoin #3? Buying used? Any tips on confirming quality/condition beforehand?

5. themidiroom

themidiroom Active Member

I have been told the older NS-10 models were a bit harsh on the high end. I have one of the last NS-10M speakers made and the high end is much smoother.

6. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

You are correct.
    The original NS10 ( originally built as a consumer speaker) got a big boost from Bob Clearmountain in a Mix article. He (and the rest of us) used to tame them by taping a sheet of toilet paper over the tweeters to darken them. Yamaha, upon experiancing this (the use of TP and thier sucess with the studio market) came out with an updated model to satisfy the unpredicted market; horizontal placement oriantation (i.e. paint tyhe logo sideways...) and a darker tweeter.
    I miss A&M..they used to change thier NS10 components everyday! And I could pick up the "used" woofers for $50.

7. kmdavidson

kmdavidson Active Member

Home Page:
    So, since most pro studios i've seen tend to have the NS's on their side, is it fair to say they're using the NS-10Ms?

Also, I'm still weary about buying this type of stuff blindly from someone on ebay... Any suggestions?

8. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

NS10M is printed on the cabinet. As far a purchasing on eBay, ya' take your chances. I've done a bunch of deals on eBay, most of them turned out good..

9. kmdavidson

kmdavidson Active Member

Home Page:
    right... i know that the model tends to be on the cab. that's not exactly what i was asking.

but any, the only real advice about buying these on ebay is the obvious? cross my fingers and check the guy's feedback rating?

10. JDaughtry2

JDaughtry2 Guest

also the NS-10m's are made out of a different wood. the original ns-10's were made from a wood from japan in which they are still making the original ns-10s but they are not importing them to the USA. just some info. thanks, jeremy

11. omegaarts

omegaarts Guest

I've bought things from ebay and sold things on ebay and it's always worked out good. Call the person and talk directly to them and ask any questions you might have. By the way one of My old CD's "Grinderswitch, Macon Tracks, Japanese relaese" sold yesterday on ebay for $123.50. I need a box of those suckers!
    Larry

12. kmdavidson

kmdavidson Active Member

Home Page:
    Hmmm... I have friends in Japan. But something tells me with customs and conversion rates I'm better off on ebay. Thanks guys. This is really helpful.

-K