1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Most horrible chart-topper

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by David French, Apr 29, 2003.

1. David French

David French Well-Known Member

I'm not usually one to rant; however, there is a song that has been out for a while that has me so confounded that I feel I must do something. The song? 'Angel' by Amanda Perez. This has to be the biggest per capita piece of crap I have ever heard. After 14 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, it's still sitting comfortably at #20. The production is weak; the harmony consists of a single piano lazily plunking out triads in first inversion and I won't even talk about that completely ridiculous vocal effect toward the end. The lyrics are trite and predictable. The singer is middling at best and she isn't even cute to make up for it [cough*spears*cough]. Everytime it comes on the radio, I have to flee to another channel. I can't believe that people are buying this song! Am I alone? Is there any other POS out there that really gets under your skin?

2. wwittman

wwittman Active Member

>Is there any other POS out there that really gets under your skin?

Anything by Steely Dan?<g>

Really, it's all a matter of taste.
    And there's simply no upside in telling the public that they're "wrong".
    If millions love it it's "good", as far as those millions are concerned.
    There will always be successful records that you hate and unsuccessful records that you love.
    People vote with their wallets in this race.

3. Divo

Divo Member

Kelly Osbourne rocks! "Not". If you think tallent has anything to do with it you are kidding yourself. You have heard Pink live haven't you?Jack Osbourne Rocks too, when he's comming down after a bad batch, curled up on the bed clutching his knees and sweating like a melon that's been pulled out of the refrigerator.... :D Unfortunately the marketing guru's have managed to get their grubby little claws into our industry and have made a mockery of everything we believe in. :mad: There will be plenty more of this crap going on in the future but you are right to be pissed off about it considering how much real talent is going unnoticed.

4. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

do you guys still listen to the radio?
    At least in Brazil it is the best way of putting your time and renting your ears to total trash.
    :(

There are only 2 FM radios in Brazil that are worth listening. One that only plays foreign music ( sung in english), of hits of 60´s-90´s ( Beatles, Rolling Stones, Genesis,Peter Gabriel, Toto, Police, simple Minds, Mariah, etc) and another one that only plays Pop/Mpb Brazilian music.

5. wwittman

wwittman Active Member

You know, when the Bealtes came out, I knew people who were into 50's music (exclusively) who moaned constantly about how they had killed all the "good music' off the radio.

6. OrangeJulius

OrangeJulius Guest

I don't know how to spell her name, but that Avril Lavin is really, really annoying.

7. downflow

downflow Guest

David
    I heard that wonderful piece for the first time on the way into work tonight. I laughed until tears were falling from my eyes as the song... ahem..."progressed" into a delightful sampler of the common cliche'. I didn't know it was a hit, but why the hell not! Every new hit breaks a barrier, just not the ones we wish they would break. I know the masses have spoken, but album sales don't make the album. Ever heard the saying 50 million Elvis fans can't be wrong? Well they are all f#$%ing dead wrong (pun intended). I just can't seem to agree with all the teenage girls on a great band/album/song. Most popular music today is a big joke, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who gets it. -Andy

8. popcorn

popcorn Guest

Hi ,
    I think that from a long time the Grammys this year were more close to the music.Norah Jones-yes!,but anyway where are these songs like "Bridge over troubled water".Don't misunderstand me -I'm producing dance,house music and our stuff is tuf-ca-tuf-ca ,but.... the real songs sound like music by Stevie Wonder,Chicago,Eart Wind & Fire.
    That's my opinion:)

Donny

9. cjenrick

cjenrick Active Member

Ok, we have a few opinions on whats good, could go on forever. Howabout the Worst Chart Topper As Far As Recording Technique? Norah Jones has already been pounded on this.

My vote goes for The First Time by Roberta Flack. The tape hiss is 20db above the music! And it was a real Chart Topper.

10. The most painful thing I ever saw/heard was the Presidential salute to Paul Simon last Christmas. James Taylor and Carly Simon did "Me and Julio"- it was so bad I had to laugh to keep myself from vomiting. John Mellencamp (nee Cougar) covered "Graceland" in a weird Elvis meets Nina Simone vampy, strutting kind of fashion that made me wonder if he was insane. Paul Simon, in full knowledge that millions of people at home were watching his reaction to this "celebration" of his music, simultaneously smiled and gritted his teeth, looking like an android that was about to explode. Every once in a while the camera would cut to President Bush bobbing his head and snapping his fingers, trying to be in to it, looking confused as to why anyone would want to "celebrate" this particular music in this particular way. I adore Paul Simon, and trust me it was complete torture. Doc

11. Alécio Costa - Brazil

so, my list list of $*^t goes: Britney ( hey guys, isn´t she in the same boat as Milli Vanilli used to?) - New female singers using that same RB loop that Mariah, Braxton, Janet and a few others have been using to death; Back street Boys, Foo fighters, Nirvana ( yes, you can crucify me), Rolling stones after the 90´s, U2 after the 90´s, Simple Minds latest albums, Celine "Die-on" never ending songs and vocal extension ego, these new garage/semi grunge bands that can hardly do a lead, wanna be singers that are married to "autotune".

At the moment lots of $*^t is being released in Brazil either, exploring asses, women sex appeal and so. Very few artists doing nice mpb, samba, pop/rock or bossa.

I myself have been trying to finish my Cd since 2000 and just can find the right songs. It will end up with compositions, arrangements from 1989 to recent days.
    lol
    I have been involved with music for so long and putting out an album with 5 or 6 real good songs, it is really difficult.

People are so worried about money and so that inspiration seemsto knock at someone else´s door or maybe a foreign planet.

:)

12. invisibl

invisibl Guest

He he Alecio . I know you dont speak english as a first language

But dude I take my hat off to you on that

Funny, man, :cool: funny

13. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Celine Dione's "I Drove All Night" immediately comes to mind .... more like "I Barfed All Night'. She is more obnoxious than a French person ... oh! Wait .. she is ... DAMN! Now I understand... :D

14. Sebatron

Sebatron Well-Known Member

Anything by Celion (sealion) Die one really!

...and Britney , Cher ,Mariah , Nicole (Kidman)
    There's absoloutely no soul.Nice arse though.

"Enrique Iglesias" had some shocking stuff out. :d:
    I felt sick everytime it came on.

Commercial music is always full of it.
    It's not as bad as the eighties though!

15. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Britney Sperms - lol

Thanks invisible! In fact I am brazilian and possibly the most annoying creature of the web chats.lol

I was listening to some of Celine Die-on´s records and ..
    Man, it is so stressing voacl all the time. Mariah Carey is another one that I have just cur from my list.
    Man, that album Buttefly totally sucks. At least to me is very bad tracked, mixed, sometimes there are very little tune problems also.

I mix Chacka khan´s "Facts of Love", Lisa Sansfield´s "The real Thing" and even Madonna´s "Live to tell".
    This was good pop female music.

Good News... Rush Live in Brazil is soon to be released.

I am eager to listen to new Toto and Tears for fears Albums.

I did not enjoy Audioslave. Very boring > It sounds a lot like whitesnake, soundgarden and so.
    Maybe a few songs due to the great singer and reasonable guitar chops.

16. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Hey Sebatron, 80´s ruled!!
    U2, INXS, Tears For Fears, Mister Mr., Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Europe, Simple Minds, The Cure, Smiths, REM ( I hate this one), Midnight Oil, Men at Work, Kenny Logins, Johny Hates JAzz.. not so bad, agree?

17. Early Soundgarden rocks, and the first Rage Against the Machine album was great, but, yeah, I agree that Audioslave kinda sucks. The music, with the exception of some of the guitar work, is boring. Cornell is an amazing singer, but none of the lyrics stand out. They sat on this album for a while before releasing it, I wonder if they really like it either.
    Audioslave reminds me a lot of the 70s supergroups, who, as well, sounded good on paper, but never lived up to it. It was always "Hey, what if there was a band with X on guitar, Y on bass, and Z on drums... man, that would really rock..."
    Unfortunatley X+Y+Z always managed to = zzzzzzz (snore). I am thinking of bands like Asia. The musicians were always GODS, but the end product generally sucked (a few exceptions here and there).
    My theory for that phenomenon is this- nobody wants to deal with the pain of telling the other guy their part needs some work. The band gets together and jams out some songs, which come together quickly because everyone is pro, but no one steps back to listen for overall quality. Gimmicky studio tricks and virtuoso musicianship also got in the way, and five minute drum solos (also, to be sure, egos). Why worry about writing something authentic, with real emotion, when Tony Levin and Carl Palmer are going to do alternating bars of 7/8 and 3/4? Especially when the song is 23 minutes long and called "Procession of the Headless Gnomes".
    Now don't think I am picking on people. I went to see Tony Levin last year and it was a great show (even some old Genesis and "Elephant Talk"). Like I said part of the agony was that the raw talent of most of these acts was prodigious.
    Which brings us to Audioslave. Strong players. Great singer. Great producer. No overwhelming hunger to make a great album.
    Bomb.
    Doc

18. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Hey, Doc! Don´t you like Asia?
    Except for that "Gipsy Soul" song of the 90´s, that sounded like a pop weak band, they really do fine!

I have heard an album, it was an imported version.. I think that only Geoff Downes still plays, but it was quite nice.

19. ACB,
    No, not big on Asia. I like old Yes, King Crimson, Peter Gabriel, Roxy Music, Talking Heads. It's just a personal taste thing, I certainly respect the individual players. Hey, you don't like Nirvana! :p Doc

20. 3dchris

3dchris Active Member

As long as you don't say anything bad about The The, Depeche Mode, Garbage or Bel Canto I'm ok with it heheh :) :) :)