1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Motown Vocals signal chain?

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by coldsnow, Jan 18, 2002.

1. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

Anyone have an idea as to the Mic Pre Comp chain used by Motown? specifically, Temptations (David Ruffin), Otis Redding.

2. Scott Gould

Scott Gould Active Member

Try calling Indigo Ranch studio in Malibu - they have Half of the original console from the Motown studios in Detroit. The engineer there (sorry, forgot his name) really knows his stuff, particularly equipment history.

Scott

3. td

td Guest

Or put a yell out to Bob Ohlsson, who frequents these pages .......... he probably recorded some of the music your talking about .

Tony

4. faganking

faganking Member

A few years ago I read an interview with Mike McLean who was chief engineer at Motown for quite a while. He discussed many, many things including: building the 3 track recorder and....he said the vocal chain from the 3 track period on was a C-12 into an Altec 1567A into a Fairchild compressor. He *may* have said the mic was a U67, but I'm certain about the Altec 1567A. I had JUST purchased a few of them and was thrilled by the information.
    Benjy