1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Motu 828 MKII whines on play back

Discussion in 'Recording' started by yzfwv, Aug 14, 2006.

1. yzfwv

yzfwv Guest

Anyone have this problem or know how to fix it?

Running HP laptop

P4
    512mem
    40gig hd.
    firewire ran through pci card

It will occasionally stop playing music and make this whining noise on playback then start playing music again. I updated the drivers and that didn't help. Is it because of the crappy computer configuration?

It doesn't affect the actual recording and if you stop the track and rewind it a bit and play it again, the part of the track that has the whine will play normally then it will randomly cut in some where else.

Any help?

2. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

Does the laptop have wireless capabilities?

I bought a PCMCIA card for my wireless lan in my apt and from time to time when I use the computer when that card is plugged in and enabled, I'll get a whine from my 828 MKII. I just disable it or pull the card and it goes away.

3. yzfwv

yzfwv Guest

Sorry, the firewire connection is PCMCIA and the wireless is on board. Maybe that's what's causing it though. I could try turning it off.

4. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

Also verify that the PCMCIA card has the Texas instruments chipset.

A requirement for the MOTU interfaces.

8)

5. corrupted

corrupted Guest

Networking can be a random process hog. Definitely disable and/or remove any networking if possible. No guarantee that it's the cause, but it very well could be. I have networking on my studio PC, but I disable it whenever I'm going into a session.

6. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

Also try resetting the unit back to it's factory defaults, it's in the manual...somewhere.

8)