1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

MOTU 828mkii and Mbox on the same computer??

Discussion in 'Recording' started by poprocks, May 29, 2005.

1. poprocks

poprocks Guest

I've got a MOTU/Sonar setup on my PC. Is it possible to install an Mbox/PTLE setup on my computer at the same time? Will these systems coexist or will they fight like cats and dogs?

I need to add Pro Tools capabilities, but when possible I still want to use Sonar. If anyone has input on this kind of a setup, please enlighten me!

Thanks,
    AG

Edit: To clarify ... I don't want to run the mbox and the 828 at the same time ... I just need to be able to use PT if a project requires it, and then use Sonar for everything else. So I can obviously disconnect the mbox while I'm using Sonar/828, and vice-versa.

2. ghellquist

ghellquist Member

Hmm.

I have both drivers installed and no problems, use and 828mkII on location and the MBox for on the run edititing. Cannot remember if I have had both connected at the same time though. If so I guess you could simple pull the plug on the MBox or the Motu while you are not using it.

Gunnar

3. poprocks

poprocks Guest

Thanks, Gunnar. Please see my edit above. So, you have both drivers installed on your machine and everything is cool? Please let me know if you ran into any problems along the way that I should look out for. Do you have to disable the other driver temporarily?

AG

4. ghellquist

ghellquist Member

AG. I´ve had no problems. No need to disable anything.

But just to help out and be sure, I will try tonight by having them both connected at the same time (not my standard setup). Might even try to run them both at the same time in two different applications.

Gunnar.

5. ghellquist

ghellquist Member

Tried with both connected at the same time. No ill effects seen.

Could run audio streams through both, but then I got hickups in the MBox stream (MBox 2 channels out at 44.1, Motu 2 channels out at 96).

Gunnar

6. poprocks

poprocks Guest

Are you running mac or PC? Thank you SO much for your research!

7. ghellquist

ghellquist Member

Sorry, forgot to mention.

PC laptop, Compaq Presario 2500. Intel Pentium 4, 2.6GHz, 512 MB. Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Gunnar.