1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Motu 896 or Presonus Firepod

Discussion in 'Recording' started by younger, Sep 23, 2005.

1. younger

younger Guest

Hello,
    I have been searching for a good interface for awhile now to do great sounding home recording with a band. Between the 2 that I have narrowed it down to . What is the concensus on which one of the units would you buy, and why. I am told that both of these units are zero latency monitoring, and that is something I am looking for. Also I am told they both have great mic pre's

Motu 896 or Presonus Firepod ???

Any input would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Youngerone

2. tringlesceo

tringlesceo Guest

3. phantompower

phantompower Guest

firepod

i have the firepod and im really happy with it, although it wont work with protools, and i dont know anything about the motu

4. AcousTronic

AcousTronic Guest

Re: firepod

I'm in the oposite position, I don't know anything about Firepod, but LOVE my 896HD!!! Had it for about 5 months and never a problem. Just finished a piece that used 15 stereo tracks, 4 mono tracks and 12 midi tracks, along with a ton of plug-ins, and it never even thought of giving me latency!! And I have an old G4 with only 768 SD RAM, running Logic Pro 7, didn't tax the CPU at all. The DSP feature of the MOTU is a GODSEND!!

5. I would think the 828 because I like the ADAT ins and outs but there is quite a price difference.

What are others opinions on the preamps in comparision??

6. wavline1820m

wavline1820m Guest

in my opinion, i would go with the 896...i have the 828 mkII and absoloutly, love it...never had a problem, although, i would think, that the presonus, pres, are better.......i dont quite know....the motu , uses, class a pres, but, i am thinkin, that the presonus, has better pres....can any one, clear this up???????

but, that being said, motu, and rme, are about the only 2 companies, i would consider.....

Chris

7. wavline1820m

wavline1820m Guest

oh, btw, what ever you do, dont get tricked into buying any emu cards. they really stink , and there tech support is almost non existant.

Chrs

8. younger

younger Guest

So it sounds like the overall is for the motu..Which of the 2 has the better pre's? Anyone here ever compare?
    PLease let me know
    Thanks
    Younger

9. zerosin

zerosin Active Member

Have you looked into the RME Fireface?

10. younger

younger Guest

I have never looked at the the Rme . Whats the word on that unit?

11. zerosin

zerosin Active Member

RME is known for nice preamps and converters. I almost went with the FireFace instead of the MiniMe but I wanted to do field recording.