1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

MOTU 896

Discussion in 'Recording' started by drumist69, Apr 8, 2006.

1. drumist69

drumist69 Active Member

Hi all! I have found a used MOTU 896 at a local pawn shop. It doesn't include the manual or any software/drivers. They're asking $399 for it, but I think I can get them down to $350 or so, since I'l have to download drivers and such. My question is this. My PC does not have a firewire card. I've looked around and I know I can pick one up for next to nothing (for FW 400), or about $70 for FW 800. Is there a particular brand/model of card that would best match with the 896? Also, would using an older FW 400 with 400meg/second transfer be a problem? I'm thinking if I can get double the transfer for less than $100, why not. ANy thoughts on this? ANDY

2. DGSTUDIO

DGSTUDIO Guest

I have a MOTU 828. It had some problems early on but it has been a good solid performer since new drivers and a faster PC. The 896 cannot use 800Mb firewire and there is a particular chipset to look for in the firewire card. Here are a couple of quotes from the MOTU website.

"Also, you can use a FireWire 800-to-400 adapter to plug a MOTU FireWire interface into a computer with a FireWire 800 port. As our FireWire interfaces are FW 400 devices, there will be no performance increase by connecting them to a FW 800 bus, but there will also be no detriment to MOTU FW performance either. Using a FW 800-to-400 adapter simply provides you with more connectivity options."

"For PCs, make sure you are using a FireWire card with a Texas Instrument (TI) or Lucent chip set"

3. drumist69

drumist69 Active Member

Well, the PC is a Pentium 4 with a gig of ram...should do the job. If I get the MOTU I just need to keep in mind the TI or Lucent chipset? I'll look at the MOTU site for more details! Thanks! ANDY

4. jahtao

jahtao Guest

http://www.blacklionaudio.com can mod it for you check it out