1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

MOTU 896mk3 vs. Presonus Firestudio

Discussion in 'Recording' started by mobilelab, Aug 11, 2009.

1. mobilelab

mobilelab Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Hello! I've happily owned a MOTU 896 HD for the past 2 years. Recently, it decided not to power up. I've checked the fuses and they seem fine, so I will have it serviced, providing the cost isn't too ridiculous. However, in the event that it isn't salvageable and I need to buy a new interface, is the $1000 896 any better than the $599 Firestudio? I have heard great things about Presonus, but I loved my MOTU. Any info at all would be great. Thanks.

P.S. - I run Sonar on Windows.
  2. jammster

jammster Active Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Lake Ki-Chi-Saga, Minnesota USA
    I've found the FireStudio to be a very useful and affordable solution. Got one in 2007 and been quite happy with it. There can be some issues with drivers/firmware that you should be aware of. Check out there forum to be sure:

Also the D to A can make noise in the left channel at the lower sampling rates. Its nothing to major though, and there are solutions to it such as getting a central station and running it through the digital spdif.
  3. vashuba

vashuba Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    St Louis
    Home Page:
    Are there many differences between the 896 mk1 VS 896 mk3? I read that on the mk1 you can only hear play back on 2 inputs? is that true? anything else...