1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

MOTU pres, any good?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Squaysh, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Squaysh

Squaysh Guest

How are the XLR pres on MOTU units anyway? Particularly the 896. Any feedback would be great.

2. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

I have the 828mkii which has 2 of the same pres as the 896. They are decent enough, a litle dull for my taste for certainly useable- Definitely better than the run of the mill pres like art, b-boys, mackie, etc. I use them when I need extra pres when Im tracking bands- for vocals, overdubs, I prefer some of my higher end pres-

3. gasy

gasy Guest

Well, I didn't know that :eek: . I own a 828mk2 and I find the pres pretty good : I have recorded my classic guitar with it and that sounds great.

4. stalefish

stalefish Active Member

really?

i was under the impression that my 828mkii's pres were inferior to ART tube MPs and Presonus' Bluetube..... cool now i won't have to waste the money on another preamp

5. maintiger

I've had Arts and the pres in the 828mkii are definitely better... haven't had presonus-

6. stalefish

stalefish Active Member

how far up do you turn the trims on the 828?

i turn them up to more than 75% for the desired volume - is that too much? they're kinda soft aren't they? ...or is that the normal volume of a pre?

7. gasy

gasy Guest

So do I : I have to turn them to about 75% to get a correct gain.

8. maintiger

yeah, turn 'em up as far as needed before distortion....