1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

MOTU???

Discussion in 'Recording' started by claysims03, Apr 30, 2007.

1. claysims03

claysims03 Guest

Anyone use Motu im looking at the Motu HD192 PCI anyone have any comments on this is it a good unit or can u get the same quality out a cheaper interface and what is the advantges between PCI and Firewire?

2. jwfatgruv

jwfatgruv Guest

Hi All!

I have had an hd192 since they first came out. I'm very happy with it. I have a very complete MOTU setup: hd192, 1296, 2408mkll, and a 308. These are all connected to the PCI-424 card inside my G5 2x2. I also use Digital Performer.

This has been a very solid system for me. I work on it everyday for my living.

3. claysims03

claysims03 Guest

awesome well i have an odd question im looking at the motu HD192 and i dont see any monitor out is there a reason for that do i need another unti for monitor outputs or am i missing something can u help please?

4. Sidhu

Sidhu Active Member

typically u would just use one pair of outputs for monitoring. Do you work on a PC or a Mac ?

Cheers!
    Sidhu

5. claysims03

claysims03 Guest

I use PC havnt taken the MAC jump yet.

6. Sidhu

Sidhu Active Member

well.. i really don't consider it a jump. PC's work just as well now, if not better. Provided they are a careful match of components.

While PCI will be restricted to use within your desktop. A firewire interface is portable and can be used with laptops too.

You might also be interested in checking out the e-mu and RME alternatives.

E-mu have the 1616 line, which has some very fine converters, and reasonable built in pres. It is compatible with both PCI and cardbus for laptops :

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=505&subcategory=491&product=13552

Also check out the RME line. Very fine gear.

Cheers!
    Sidhu

7. LAVLAB

LAVLAB Active Member

if you're pc, don't get an older motu w/the 324 card - what a headache!!

8. claysims03

claysims03 Guest

ok i appreciate it

9. Arez

Arez Guest

What the different PCI424 and PCIe424 for MOTU HD192?
    there is effect for recording?

10. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

Uhh, one is PCI, the other is the newer PCIe bus.

:lol: 8)

11. Gib

Gib Active Member

I originally ran the hd192 on a pc with winxp, and i had some headaches. The drivers just didnt seem to be reliable enough for me to feel safe doing business with that rig. I bought a Mac a couple of years back, and everything was rock solid and seamless from then out. So If your going to stick with PC, id find another alternative. I do love the sound of the converters for the price though! As far as monitoring, I run 2 ch's out, into a controller, into active speakers. Voila!