1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Discussion in 'Recording' started by davyjune, Jul 27, 2011.

1. davyjune

davyjune Active Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Has anyone used the Motu 896mk3 ? any thoughts? thanks
  2. hueseph

hueseph Distinguished Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Sorry man. Not much going on here. There a lot of people who love MOTU. There are an equal number of people who hate them. I think a lot of that comes down to system configuration and compatibility. I have a friend who has an 8pre that works fine. The 896 looks quite a bit nicer.
  3. Mo Facta

Mo Facta Active Member

May 22, 2011
    JHB, RSA
    Home Page:
    I worked on a 24 i/o with the PCI-424 system for many years. I've also used various other pieces of their gear and I would have to say that their number one allure is that the drivers are rock solid. I would almost go as far to say the drivers are almost as good as RME's.

The sound?

Well, I'm sure the newer units have improved but the 24 i/o's sound is as run-of-the-mill as you get. I think they use the Asahi Kasei chips, which are otherwise good, but when you cram 24 channels into a 1u box, the first thing you skimp on is the analog components, which don't sound great at all. As far as the 896 goes, here's what Black Lion Audio has to say:

Hope that helps.

Cheers :)