1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

audio MP3 comparisons, how does your MP3 process stack up to the rest of us?

Discussion in 'Fix This MIX!' started by audiokid, Mar 8, 2015.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I think this topic is something we've completely missed.
    Lets compare the sound and process of our MP3 and listen to the results.
    I can or someone can provide a 44.1 via soundcloud, we compress it and use the upload button to store and compare . It should make a good discussion.
    Until someone has another source, use my Daughters:

Method:
    Soundcloud stores the full bandwidth ( to what was originally uploaded), make the link downloadable and MP3 it.
    NOTE: not sure if this is just my system but 192kbits appears to be the highest I/we can playback here so please do the same so we are all on an even bit rate.

See image attached on downloading the file. On Firefox I see an arrow on the top right corner soundcloud wave. Click that and the full bandwidth file will download to your computer. My system is clean, the files should be safe.

Capture.PNG

Then, upload your processed MP3 to RO server

2. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I'm using Sequoia 13

Attached Files:

3. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Lately, I've ditched uploading mp3's to SC and have kept to 44/24 .wav files.

But... at some point, that's gonna start to add up, and decrease my available storage space with SC, so if there is a way I can go back to using MP3's that play back with the same quality as that which I've uploaded, then that would be great.

When I was using MP3's, I was using Samplitude to create the MP3. The times where I felt the audio was being skewed was when I was using MP3's with SC.

Since I began using .wav files instead, I haven't had any problems.

Also, I need to be clear and say that SC wasn't effecting the audio in every MP3 situation... it was intermittent.

Chris...can you explain how we do this?

4. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

I'm gonna try to upload a version later this evening when I get to the studio. I can't wait to compare them and figure which method or software sounds better. ;)

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

cool,
    There seems to be some issue with playing back 320 bitrate. I've always used that so Im confused if its this upload code with the issue or my firefox browser restricting. Anyone know anything about that? Marco, when you upload your version, try a 320 and see if you are able to playback.
    The 320 uploads but once I press play, the player disappears on me. 192 however, works.

6. pcrecord

Here are my versions 320 and 192 created with AVS audio converter

320:

192:

Attached Files:

7. pcrecord

They both work here ! with google chrome ;)

8. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Its interesting that I can play your 320 Marco but not mine. I wonder why. Can you play both mine?
    Also, I don' have the ability to clinically listen right now, how do yours match up with mine? They sound very similar on my blaster.

9. audiokid

audiokid Staff

In the mean time while trying to find out why Sequoia 320 won't play, how are the 192's comparing Marco?

10. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Oh... hey now...wait a cotton-pickin' minute... I never even considered that the browser I'm using could effect the fidelity of the MP3 playback...

I've been using Firefox for quite sometime... I wonder... is this what was causing my past issues with SC MP3's?

11. pcrecord

Yes I can ! Did you try with another browser. I use chrome here.

It would be a very bad programming on SC's part. But it's something to investigate ;)

12. audiokid

audiokid Staff

There is something strange with Sequoia 320 and my browser not accepting it. Yet Marco is able to play mine on Chrome. Yet I can play his 320 but not my 320.

If firefox can play your 320 bitrate, why can it not play the 320 file I did? That is really wonked. o_O I'm clueless how to resolve this one.

Have you had a chance to compare Marco?

13. pcrecord

I had a quick listen but I'll check it back this evening.
    One thing that is missing for the comparaison is an upload to SC in mp3 format and a wave to mp3 upload to SC. Just to check if their convertion is ok. ;)
    I'm also wandering if some content could be easily converted and others not. (exemple softer or louder mix, HF more present etc...)

14. Makzimia

Makzimia Active Member

Chrome rules, just saying ;).