multiband compression

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by amnmitchem, Dec 29, 2004.

1. amnmitchem

amnmitchem Guest

:roll: What types of sounds am I trying to compress with a multiband compressor. I understand how they work and what they do, but when I go to solo a band on a stereo track to compress something, I am clueless. Can someone help me out with what is good to compress and what isnt. Thanks.

2. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

I use sideband compression mostly to control low end energy on bass guitar. I don't always want to squeeze the bass hard just clean up the mud down low.

Hope this helps.

Chris

3. Javier

Javier Guest

Amnmitchem: I have found multiband compression very useful for controlling very low frequencies in the bass. I tune the compressor for a band between 35Hz and 70Hz. I set the ratio at 10:1 (almost limiting) and then I solo that band and start moving the threshold control down until softest notes barely generate any gain reduction while the loudest ones get chopped off. It ends up in a very even response. Then I adjust to taste with the make up gain control. Settings of the attack and release controls depend on the type of music. Hope this helps.

4. TanTan

TanTan Distinguished Member

In rock\dance music i'm sometimes using low end compression as well , if the mix is good and the bass drum and the bass guitar aren't conflicting i'm looking for the sweet side chain spot (shelf on low end) when i start to hear the bass drum it depends on which kind of music but 60-70Hz is a common spot where the kick drum is noticeable and has realy energy , and i compress it with a 9-20ms attack and 300-400 ms release , depends on the dynamic range of the bass guitar 5-10 ratio and like Javier the soft notes are almost untouched by gain reduction, and i'm givin it make up gain with the compressor or if i want it to be more colorful i'm using my outboard tube eq to balance it , that way the low end is very solid and tight and it's becoming very fat because the "dynamic eq" is controlling the bass in a way you can add some more bass from outboard (i'm using an m\s mode custom stereo pultec eqp-1a with an amazing output line amp)than in the original recording , and when you are listening to the master with small speakers (cars for example) you can pull up a few db's more and the speakers is not chocking