1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Multiple Publishers for one song?

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by edaub1, Sep 27, 2013.

1. edaub1

edaub1 Active Member

Jun 10, 2009
    So a couple of my songs are registered with BMI under the publisher that signed my songs. (I am 100% writer).

I've now started my own publishing company, and it just became registered with BMI.

Can I register those same songs under my publishing company with BMI? And do I have to re-title?
  2. RyanC

RyanC Active Member

May 30, 2014
    I'm no attorney, but it depends in the deal you made with the pub. If it's a fairly standard single song deal it should have a term or some level of definition of how long they are going admin it. If you singed something for them to admin it, then they are the publisher for that song, if you try to collect the publishers share on it then they probably could sue you (assuming you signed a contract that states that).
  3. thatjeffguy

thatjeffguy Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Vashon Island, Washington
    Home Page:
    Most of the publishing contracts that I have signed over the years have an "Exclusivity" clause giving the publisher the exclusive rights to the publishing for the stated time period. Also it is highly recommended that you NOT sign any deal that continues in perpetuity.
    There are hundreds of people who are technically "Publishers" simply because they payed the nominal fee and listed themselves with BMI or ASCAP. That does not mean that they have any connections in the business that will help you achieve your goals. It is important to research the track record of a publisher before signing away your rights.
    Hope this helps,
    DonnyAir likes this.