1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Multitrack recorder and live mixer board

Discussion in 'Recording' started by bahed, Nov 25, 2006.

1. bahed

bahed Active Member

Nov 25, 2006
    I want to keep things simple - probably one of the reasons I play acoustic (guitar and mandolin). I want to be able to have a Fostex-like device that will allow me to experiment musically at home and accompany myself on one instrument, while I am playing back another previously laid down track. Simple enough. I say Fostex, because I bought one 20 years ago that died awhile back ago - so I am familiar with them.

I also want something I can take to small venues: coffee shops and small bars and act as a mixing board for 1 - 4 inputs. I will likely only have a couple of mics plugged in: one situated at guitar or mandolin height and another up higher for vocals and fiddle for when I play with another friend. I use a smallish amp.

Therefore, I am wanting something readily available and affordable - used is ok (read eBay). In fact, I am looking at a Fostex MR8 that allows you to download to a flashcard, but it isn't apparent from reading the online manual that it could act as a mixing board.

Please advise and tell me what I should be looking for so that I am getting both utilities.

Thanks immensely.