1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Music-based computer?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Jenre, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Jenre

Jenre Guest

How's this for a music dedicated PC..

INTEL P4 - 3.2 GHZ - 800 FSB 1024k Cache
    120GB or two 80GB SERIAL ATA 7200rpm - Seagate Barracuda harddrives
    AOC 17 INCH TFT FLAT SCREEN BLACK/SILVER
    300w Quiet Power Supply
    Asus P4P800S Mainboard
    1 GB DDR 400MHz RAM
    ATI Radeon 9200 Dual Head Graphics
    3 x Firewire Ports
    6 x USBII Ports
    Chieftec Silver & Black ATX Case
    Zalman 7000AL CPU Cooler
    ...All for £990 (about $1700)

I'm going to be running Cubase SX, Reason 2.5 and a bunch of plugins and VSTis including some Waves plugins, Kontakt, Intakt and Lounge Lizard. Maybe moving onto Pro Tools LE too with the 002rack.

2. David French

David French Well-Known Member

Pretty nice. Consider WD 10,000 RPM Raptors, a matrox G450 video card, and a Nexus NX-3500 power supply.

And to quote Mr. Kurt Foster,

"Please do me a favor and change your sig line ... kids hang around here and there's no need for that type of language."

3. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

Perfect man...couldn't be better...

Just make sure you optmize the system for audio...plenty o ways to do that too!

Opus

4. David French

He should know, he wrote the book on it ;)

Welcome back, Opus.

5. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

Thank you David! It's good to be back!

And very good catch...Jenre, basically consider this a warning if you do not change your signature PLEASE and thank you!

Opus

6. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

There are a few things I'd change - Like upping to a true Intel 875 chipset - like the Asus P4C800E or the P4C800E-Dlx. The 875 chipset is designed for the P4's, and the Prescott cores (The 3.2E that you are looking at).

Get some good, low-latency RAM (you didn't specify the exact RAM), and MAKE SURE it is "Matched" for dual-channel operation (Very important to get full RAM bandwidth).

Fair Warning on the Radeon 9200 (I have that same card) - the "Dual Head" is ONLY accessible through a single VGA and a single S-Video, so you can NOT use 2 VGA monitors for an extended desktop... Go with one that has 2 VGA outs, or a VGA and a DVI (that can be converted to VGA). S-video is 100% useless for Audio Editing (no resolution at all!).

You may want to look into a GOOD power supply - Like a Sparkle or a Enermax, and up the wattage a bit to 400Watts. The P4's will pull about 100Watts alone! Add your RAM, Video, HD and Opticals, and 300w is NOT enough IMO.

Also, I'd recommend a smaller dedicated OS drive (like a 20-40Gig), and having a second large HD for your Audio - SATA is the wat to go. A second storage drive is never a bad idea for an "on-line backup". This is what I do (My system actually has 4-5 HD's - 1 is removeble). I wouldn't bother wasting money on a Raptor 10,000 HD (I did, but it is my OS drive - $111 for 36 gigs is a bit ridiculous IMO). You can get VERY close performance out of the WD 7200 SATA's, and they are roughly 25%-50% cheaper. My 7200 200Gig spits out 48MB/s, and my Raptor BARELY edges it out at 52MB/S (but with quicker access times to its advantage - throughput is MUCH more important to HD recording than Access time)

Otherwise, sounds good... :cool:

7. BladeSG

BladeSG Guest

Good spec system. Make sure the mobo you buy has either Intels 865PE or 875P chipsets. I agree with Randyman, I don't think the 300W PSU will be enough. Look also at PSU's from Antec, Zalman and SilenX.

8. BladeSG

BladeSG Guest

Good spec system. Make sure the mobo you buy has either Intels 865PE or 875P chipsets. I agree with Randyman, I don't think the 300W PSU will be enough. Look also at PSU's from Antec, Zalman and SilenX.

9. David French

Blade, do you not like the Nexus power supplies? I have an NX-3500 that i'm thrilled with.

10. BladeSG

BladeSG Guest

I have not seen these here in Australia, that's why I won't comment on them. The ones I did mention I like and have had experience with. I'm actually trying to organise for a SilenX fanless PSU to be sent over from the U.S.

http://www.silenx.com/productcart/pc/viewCat_Z.asp?idCategory=20

Looks very promising for dB reduction in the studio. Not cheap though unfortunately. :D

11. David French

Yeah, the SilentX models do look interesting. When I built my new machine, I went with the Nexus because of its unique bottom mounted 12 cm fan, which helps out with cooling the cpu. If you're still looking for a power supply, I would highly recommend the Nexus models. At about 1 meter from the computer, the power supply is completely inaudible.

12. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

My Enermax 460Watt dual fan model also uses low-speed fans to allow silent operation. Check that the total power avalible to the +3.3v and +5v lines is at LEAST 200 Watts for a P4 system...

:cool: