1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Music Business Contracts needed for a Minor in NY

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by Panic, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Panic

Panic Guest

I am working with a minor 15 years of age. I write all the music and co-write the lyrics. I produce all the songs. I am going to manage him. I am going to shop for a lable or do it on our own. I am going to buy one of these package contract on line. ( 101 Contract etc. ) Being that he is a minor in NY I think I need a judge to sign off on the contracts to protect him. Anyone with any advice other that get an attorney would be greatly appreciated. Any one recomend any of the contract packages out there or a list of which contracts I need will be appreciated as well. Once we get an offer or interest than I will secure an attorney.

2. mlaskow

mlaskow Guest

Hi Panic,

Ultimately, you and the minor are going to need attorneys. It's unlikely that any packaged contract is going to suit your needs without modification, and you'll need an attorney to do the mods. Also, it's likely that the minor's parents will also have to sign the deal to make it legal. You need to figure out if you're a production company offering a production deal, a label offering a recording deal, a manager, or WHAT? Read Don Passman's book for starters. If you need a good NY music atty. I highly recommend: Jon M. Waxman , Esq. , 302 W. 12th St. , Suite 10B , N.Y. , N.Y. 10014-6031 , TEL 212-929-2562 or 212-229-1625. He's a total pro and a really good guy. Tell him you were referred by Michael Laskow. He did my 1st production contract 33 years ago :)

Good luck!
    Michael

1 person likes this.
  3. Panic

Panic Guest

Thank you Mike

Thank you very much. I will give him a call.

4. marcustaylor

marcustaylor Active Member

Hey dude,

Altarboy Music are good for cheap musician legal services, or if you're just looking for some basic ones there are some music contracts on my site (The Musician's Guide).

5. bart_R

bart_R Active Member

I hope that it all works out for you and the kid. I take it it's POP music?

6. Al_Weeks

Al_Weeks Active Member

How did you get on with the contracts?