1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

mxl 603 vs beyerdynamic opus53 vs earthworks sr77 vs sch

Discussion in 'Recording' started by monty teebaum, Nov 22, 2001.

1. monty teebaum

monty teebaum Member

today i recorded some percussion with this 4 mic types.
    you can find the files here:
    http://www.biobonsai.com/Small_Condensers/
    all mics are small diagram condensers, but not the same type.

-the mxl 603 is 3/4" & wide caroid, the price is less than $100.-!

-the beyerdynamic opus 53 is a very small electret condenser (caroid) for less than $150.-

-the sr77 is a 1/4" electret condenser (caroid) with a price around $450.-

-the schoeps (telefunken) m221b is a tube 1/2" caroid (with switch to omni), 50 years old.

the bongo we record in stereo with orft-technic (schoeps not, i have just 1 piece), the other things are mono.

for a good comparing i would put the files to a sequencer & play the stuff in loops with "solo".

have fun :)

2. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Could you maybe give more details, like preamps, recording chain, methodology for positioning the mics? I generally don't trust a shootout to give me the full story on a mic, but the info and a listen could give me a thumbnail sketch.

Bear

3. monty teebaum

monty teebaum Member

Originally posted by Bear's Gone Fission:
    Could you maybe give more details, like preamps, recording chain, methodology for positioning the mics? I generally don't trust a shootout to give me the full story on a mic, but the info and a listen could give me a thumbnail sketch.

Bear

channel:
    langevin dvc, eq & limiter "off"
    waves l2 (as a/d, limiter off)
    distance:
    around 20 cm in front opf the mic, bongos from top arroun 50cm distance.

i don't see this as a shotout, its just interesting, how different the mics sounded.