1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

MXL 606

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by AUD10, Nov 24, 2013.

1. AUD10

AUD10 Active Member

Has anyone used an MXL 606 small condenser microphone? Is it any good for micing stringed instruments?

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

If you keep the gain low and pick your mic position judiciously it can work. An unmodified mxl mic is very sibulant.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

3. AUD10

AUD10 Active Member

Thanks for your reply John.

I read on another website that the MXL 606 uses the same back-electret capsule as some of the other budget microphones such as Behringer? Is this mic in the same category?

4. TheJackAttack

More or less. Cheap Chinese condenser.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

5. pan60

pan60 Active Member

I would rather use a good dynamic mic myself.

6. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

most chineese mics are made in one of 3 different facilities. the stuff from 747 seems to be the best. none of them compare to quality built USA, German or Austrian mics. behringer sucks. howdy

7. TheJackAttack

On the Mannheim Steamroller tour they are right now using dynamic moving coil Heil PR30's for both the brass and the strings as well as the hoboe. Not a condenser on the entire stage.

8. Kurt Foster

they're playing here (Eugene) at the Hult Center soon. tempted to go ....

9. TheJackAttack

It's not high art or anything but it is way better Christmas music than most of the crap that you are going to be hearing in every store for the next six weeks. This year's tour has a six Mannheim musicians and nine locals. "Piano" player is using a Kurzweill in a shell and a synth. The "harpsichord" player has some electronic version of it as well. The bass player is one of the original members and has sever different basses and a real lute. The violin player is on an electric. The drummer has real drums on stage but I think they are triggered samples. The aux percussionist is also the main recorder player and plays about five sizes of recorders. All the local musicians are on Heil PR30 mic's and are 3 violins 2 violas 1 cello 1 hoboe 1 trumpet/picc trump/flugel and 1 horn.

10. TheJackAttack

And huge video screen behind the band going full time.

11. TheJackAttack

Many dynamics. No condensers. 5:10

Elton John - Royal Opera House (Full Concert) (HQ) - YouTube

12. TheJackAttack

Oops. Harp and timp have condensers. Not chinese condensers.

13. Kurt Foster

here's a song of mine that slightly resembles something by Mannheim Steamroller

14. TheJackAttack