1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

my at2020 gives me nothing but hiss and very low signal

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Travis, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Travis

Travis Guest

Recently we have had rediculous amounts of rain and humidity in my town, i have a home studio/practice space in my basement which tends to get a little humid unfortunately. last week my friend and I sat down to do some acoustic recording. i put the at2020 in front his guitar. when i turned on my Behringer mixer all i got from the mic was hiss. i tried everything, and then it occured to me to replace the power cable to the mixer. when i did this it worked fine. but this week we did the same thing but yet again all i got from the mic was buzzing and hissing. i replaced the power cable with two diferent ones and it still did not work. tonight i read on the instruction panflet that extreme humidity should be avoided. is it my fantom power or my microphone? im pretty bumed because if i buy a new mic then i will be out annother 100 dollars. does anyone know how i can fix this problem?

thanks

-Travis :D

2. TVPostSound

TVPostSound Guest

Behringer ??????!!!!
    Did you try another mic pre and mixer????

When you get a decent pre, open your AT2020, and remove the foam glued to the inside of the grill, and it will sound like a AT4040.

3. Travis

Travis Guest

i took the mic into a Daddys Junkie Music store and asked if i could plug iit in to one of their mixers. when i pluged it in it worked fine. so i believe the problem may be a lowsy mic cable.
    thanks for your help.

-Travis

4. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

Very high humidity conditions can make some condenser mics behave as you indicated, on a temporary basis. And you may have a bad cable. But I wouldn't be surprised if that mixer was the culprit.....

5. JoeH

JoeH Well-Known Member

TVPostsound; I'd like to know more about this mod you suggested to the AT 2020.

Is it really that good with the foam removed? Inquiring minds, and all that.....