1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

My DAW Follow Up: MAC G5 and Workflow

Discussion in 'Recording' started by fontane, May 12, 2005.

1. fontane

fontane Guest

First, I want to say thank you to everyone on this board for helping me troubleshoot many of the questions that i had before i went out and bought my new system.

SO, i would like to share with all of you what i purchased and how well what did or did not work.

Computer:
    Mac G5 Dual 1.8
    OSX 10.3.9
    2.5GB Viking RAM
    OS 7200 RPM Drive
    Audio/Samples 7200 RPM Drive
    Dual Sony 19" LCD Monitors
    MAudio Firewire Audiophile

Software:
    Digital Performer 4.52
    Mach Five 1.2
    Kontakt 2.0.1
    MX4 2.0
    Sample Tank 2 XL
    Audio Ease VST to MAS Wrapper
    Recycle 2.0
    Bias Peak 4.0
    UAD Project Pack
    UAD Precision Limiter

Here are my results and opinions:
    1 - The Dual 1.8 G5 works wonderfully and seems to have enough CPU to continue to crank several instances of instruments and many stereo aux tracks while running real-time

PERFORMANCE:
    My CPU overload test was:
    23 UAD plug-ins (a master chain and 19 EX1s)
    1 DP Master EQ
    12 Stereo Aux for Drum Kit via K2 via VST to MAS Wrapper
    3 Stereo Aux for Percussion via K2 via VST to MAS Wrapper
    5 Stereo Aux for 5 instances of MX4
    1 Drum Subgroup
    1 Percussion Subgroup
    1 2 Track Subgroup
    1 Synth Subgroup
    6 Tracks of sequenced MIDI

All the above while having each instrument instance visually opened ie all 5 instances of MX4 on the screen...

Hardware setting at 512 Buffer and 24bit / 48k
    CPU runs about 95%

Purring like a baby...
    2 instances of MX4 (bass and synth)
    1 instance of MAch Five (drums)
    Stereo out of Kontakt percussion (with 3 instruments)
    6 UAD plugs ie Pultecs, 1176s, LA2s, PE
    6 MIDI sequences
    Hardware setting at 512 Buffer and 24bit / 44.1k
    CPU runs about 30%

Other notes:- Digital Performer does support AU but DOES NOT support multiple outputs for Audio Units, only for MAS

- Audio Ease VST to MAS Wrapper works perfect on Sample Tank 2 but is buggy with Kontakt 2 (NI instruments do not play nicely within wrappers)

- Several instances of "tiny" UAD plug-ins will add more CPU host processing than if you use less high CPU UAD plug ins

- Mach Five does not seem to import Kontakt 2 instruments although it imports Kontakt 1 instruments

- MX4 can not be routed directly to a mono aux, upon load DP will ask to clear the instrument instance as it is found missing, there are work arounds

- Most used UAD plugs include Pultec EQ, LA2, 1176 and Precision Limiter (PL sounds "rounder" than Waves L2)

- Kontakt 2 library DESTROYS Mach Five library in all aspects ie quality and quantity (M5= 4.5GB / K2 = 15GB)

Well, I hope this helps some of you out there. Overall, this sytem performs quite well and almost flawlessly. I have switched over from Sonar 3 on a PC running a P4 1.8 with 1GB RAM.

2. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

I have a system similar to yours just bought a G5 2.0. I have been operating with a dual 867 G4 and was beginning to max out my VI's
    (Mach Five, Stylus, garritan, DFHS, Atmosphere) I should receive the g5 by the weekend and am looking forward to putting it all togetehr- my only reservation is that I understand that Atmosphere does not run well with DP in tiger (if at all) and I use it a lot.
    we'll see what happens. I understand DP 4.52 is tiger compatible

3. fontane

fontane Guest

DP is Tiger compatible, i still hear some random complaints over at the Unicornation boards rgarding Tiger...

I am staying clear of Tiger still for a few more months until all the developers and apple work the bugs out...

your system will be quite happy :)

HERE'S A TIGER COMPATIBILITY LIST FOR ANYONE:
    (Dead Link Removed)

4. maintiger

DP 4.52 is tiger compatible- the versions before are not. I have not upgraded to 4.52 from 4.5 because of the incompatibility with atmosphere- we'll see what happens- I will probably have to use a vst wrapper for atmosphere, run it in vst instead of AU

by the way, I had seen that list in Unicornation, thanks- I just posted there asking about running atmosphere with a vst wrapper instead of AU- thanks, fontane

5. fontane

fontane Guest

no problem :)

hope you can get through your work flow concern... mine was disrupted by no multiple outs in DP when i bought K2... i finally had to "pony up" and buy mach 5 yesterday just to get back my workflow that i was use to on sonar...

6. fontane

fontane Guest

if i understand you correctly, your statement says to run it as a VST via a wrapper? not sure, but at the end of the food chain - your wrapper will have to convert either into AU (which is still a problem) of MAS (which i would suggest trying)...

VST to MAS wrapper
    http://www.audioease.com

7. maintiger

I understand that atmosphere runs in DP in tiger as a vst plugin but not as an AU- will check out the vst to mas wrapper- thanks