1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

My first production recorded almost entirely with home-made ribbon microphones

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by artur.fisher, Mar 5, 2011.

1. artur.fisher

artur.fisher Active Member

Hi, DIY fellows!

I have finally fulfilled (at least, partially) one of my quests - to make a recording based as much as possible on DIY ribbon microphones. Factually, everything in this mix except drums and line-in instrument (bass & keys) is recorded using only a pair of such ribbons. Drum group is equalized (HF roll-off) to fit organically with ribbon tracks.

Audio is here: Blues For Ma

Looking forward for Your feedback ;)

2. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

I'll have to try to listen on some better speakers, but it's certainly impressive on computer speakers. Inferior mics usually show up on the vocal track, but your sounds very good. Good job on the mics.

3. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

Sounds great on my cheap sony cans. Can you post pics of your mics inners?

4. artur.fisher

Hi! All pics can be found on Ribbon Microphone Motors - Build Your own DIY ribbon microphone!.

Cheers!

5. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

Is that your site?

6. artur.fisher

Yeap, it's mine.

7. EricIndecisive

EricIndecisive Active Member

Sounds sweet! Awesome song too. I feel like I want to hear more top end on the whole recording, but maybe that's a mastering thing

8. artur.fisher

Well, that's not the mastering thing, that's the ribbon thing :) I love the way they sound because it is very contrasting with condenser sound we all are used to. I could add a bit more of high-end with an EQ, but I preferred to leave it natural way.